Country Denim Quilt & Pillow
sizes: quilt, 55"x75"; pillow, 14"x14"
- Repurposed clothing: jeans, five pairs; t-shirts, 10
- Cotton batting
- Polyfill stuffing
- Large floral foam stamp
- Acrylic paint, in colors of choice
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- scissors, ruler, iron and pressing surface, sewing needle, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Cut 108 squares each from fabric as follows: 6-1/2" denim, 6-1/2" t-shirt, 5" cotton batting.
- 2. On covered work surface, use acrylic paint to stamp floral design on 54 denim squares. Use variety of paint colors to coordinate with t-shirt colors. (Note: For better contrast, choose lighter paint colors like yellow, gold, and white to stamp on denim fabric.) Let dry thoroughly. Heat set paint with iron.
- 3. On work surface, sandwich batting square between t-shirt square and denim square with right sides facing out. Machine-sew "x" through all three layers. Repeat for all 108 squares.
- 4. Lay finished squares on floor or flat surface with denim side facing up. (Note: There should be nine squares across with 12 squares deep.) Alternate stamped denim squares with plain denim squares.
- 5. Machine-sew squares (row by row) together with seams facing out toward denim side of quilt.
- 6. Machine-sew rows together in same way, leaving seams facing denim side.
- 7. Machine-sew around entire edge of quilt to secure.
- 8. Machine wash and dry quilt. Clip all loose threads.
- 1. Cut two 6-1/2" squares, four 2-3/4"x15-1/2" strips, and four 2-3/4"x10-1/2" strips of denim.
- 2. Cut four 2-1/2"x6-1/2" t-shirt strips and four 2-1/2"x10-1/2" t-shirt strips.
- 3. Use paint to stamp floral design on denim square panels. Let dry and heat set with iron.
- 4. Machine-sew two short t-shirt strips to top and bottom of denim square. Press.
- 5. Machine-sew two long t-shirt strips to sides of denim square. Press.
- 6. Machine-sew two short denim strips to top and bottom of denim square. Press.
- 7. Machine-sew two long denim strips to sides of denim square. Press. (Note: You should now have one large square panel.)
- 8. Repeat Steps 4-7 with remaining denim square for two identical panels (for front and back of pillow).
- 9. With right sides together, machine-sew pillow front to back, leaving small opening for turning.
- 10. Turn pillow right side out and stuff with polyfill. Hand-sew opening closed.
- 1. Use same technique to make a sturdy patchwork bag for trips to the grocery store.