Child's Cupcake Apron
Yummy, yummy, yummy… look who's got fun on her tummy! Sew this adorable apron for your child or grandchild to wear while helping in the kitchen.
Child's Cupcake Apron
- Purple and white striped fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Coordinating fabric scraps, three
- Wrights Double-fold Bias tape
- Pink rickrack, 10" length
- Sew-on snap set
- Sparkly pom-pom or button, 1/2"
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Iron and pressing board
- Sewing needles
- No-fray solution
- Disappearing ink marker
- Therm O Web Heat'n Bond Lite Iron-on Adhesive
- scissors, yardstick or acrylic ruler
Pattern - Child's Cupcake Apron
- 1. Child's size 4 to 6.
- 1. For apron, cut 19"x24-1/2" rectangle from striped fabric. Fold rectangle in half lengthwise, measure along top edge and mark 4-1/2" from corner. Mark at 6" down from top edge. Place yard stick diagonally from top and mark at 4-1/2" to side mark at 6", and draw line with water soluble marker. Cut along marked line.
- 2. Cut two 20-1/2" lengths and one 17-1/2" length from bias tape. Apply no-fray solution to all ends; let dry. Fold and press one end of each bias piece over 1/4" and sew. Sew open edges of all pieces closed.
- 3. Fold all apron edges under 1/2"; press. Repeat around apron to complete double hem. Pin pressed edges down. For waist ties, sandwich un-sewn ends of 20"-long bias strips at the corners of widest part of apron; pin. Sandwich 17"-long neck strap ends 1" away from top edge of neckline; pin.
- 4. Sew around entire apron.
- 5. Print and cut out pattern. Cut cupcake from fabric scraps. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse adhesive to backs of cupcake pieces. Center cupcake bottom piece on apron front approximately 11-1/2" from bottom hem; press lightly with warm iron to adhere to apron front. Machine sew zigzag stitches around all raw edges. Repeat with cupcake top, overlapping bottom piece slightly and cupcake icing, pressing and sewing around all raw edges.
- 6. Cut 4-1/2" and 5-1/2" length from rickrack. Apply no-fray solution to all ends; let dry. Press ends under 1/4". Place 5-1/2" length between cupcake top and bottom and 4-1/2" length along bottom edge of cupcake; pin. Sew both lengths to apron.
- 7. Hand sew sparkly pom-pom or button to top of cupcake, and female snap to inside top edge of apron neckline 1" from corner, and male snap to back of neck strap, 4" from end.