Pumpkin and Spice Dishtowels
A pumpkin's favorite place to be is on your front porch, but the kitchen does nicely, too! Invite autumn in with these rustic appliquéd dishtowels.
- Brown checked dishtowels, two
- Cotton fabric scraps: orange, yellow, light brown
- Black embroidery floss
- Black jumbo rickrack, 1-1/4 yds.
- Orange flat buttons, 5/8”, four
- Iron and pressing surface
- Therm O Web HeatnBond Iron-on Adhesive
- scissors, pencil, transfer paper
Pattern - Pumpkin and Spice Dishtowels
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut adhesive slightly larger than pumpkins, stems, and noses. (Note: Stems and noses are separate pattern pieces.) Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse adhesive to back of fabrics; cut out. Remove paper backing. Center and fuse stems, pumpkins, and noses to dishtowel as shown. (Note: Pumpkins overlap stems.)
- 2. Transfer eyes and mouths; use two strands floss to stem stitch. Use three strands to blanket stitch around edges of pumpkins, stems, and noses. Sew buttons to cheeks.
- 3. Use three strands of floss to blanket stitch rickrack along bottom edge of dishtowel; whipstitch ends to back.
- 1. Make apron or trick-or-treat bag in same way as dishtowels.
- 2. Enlarge patterns to create whimsical pillows.