Artist At Work
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Gold, Black Plum, Burnt Umber, Graphite, Green Mist, Grey Sky, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Avocado, Light Buttermilk, Neutral Grey, Petal Pink, Raw Sienna, Royal Fuchsia, Sand, Shale Green, Slate Grey, Viridian Green, Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue, Yellow Ochre
- FM Dynasty Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #4, #8, #10; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Script, #10/0; Angular, 1/4”, 3/8”; Black Gold Fandango, #2; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 1/4”, 1/2”
- Wooden painter's palette, 12”x15-1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. All dry brushing is done using a stencil brush. All floats and highlights are done using 1/4” or 3/8” angular brushes. Shading is softened using mop brush on water's edge. All line work is done using script liner. Fur on cats is painted using fandango brush.
- 1. Print out pattern; transfer background and desk line. Base background Shale Green; while wet, slip-slap Lt. Buttermilk. Base desk Sand. Use Lt. Avocado to shade along outside edges of background and above desk edge. Shade Yellow Ochre along top of desk; deepen with Burnt Umber.
- 2. Transfer paint splotches. Using photo as guide, base splotches Green Mist, Petal Pink, and Winter Blue. Shade bottom edges Viridian Green, Royal Fuchsia, and Williamsburg Blue respectively. Dry brush Lt. Buttermilk highlights on each splotch; add highlight line. Shade Lt. Avocado behind splotches.
- 3. Transfer remaining pattern lines.
- 1. Base Slate Grey and shade Graphite. Base berets Lt. Buttermilk and shade Yellow Ochre; shade again with Burnt Umber along bottom edges to darken. Outline with thinned Lamp Black.
- 2. Base nose and inner ears Petal Pink; shade Royal Fuchsia and highlight Lt. Buttermilk. Add Lt. Buttermilk highlight line along top of nose. Paint eyes Lt. Buttermilk; lightly shade Yellow Ochre. Use Lamp Black to line within eyes and to dot pupils; add tiny Lt. Buttermilk highlight dots in pupils. Outline eyes Lamp Black and add eyebrow line. Use Grey Sky and Lt. Buttermilk to pull hairs onto cats. Line whiskers Lt. Buttermilk.
- 3. Base paint splotches on cats' tails Petal Pink and Green Mist; shade Royal Fuchsia and Viridian Green respectively, and highlight Lt. Buttermilk. Outline Lamp Black.
- Paint Bottles
- 1. Using photo as guide, base bottles Winter Blue, Petal Pink, and Green Mist; shade Williamsburg Blue, Royal Fuchsia, and Viridian Green respectively and highlight Lt. Buttermilk. Shade Black Plum on pink bottle next to green bottle. Dry brush Lt. Buttermilk highlights on each bottle; add highlight lines and pin stripes. Line and dot lettering Lamp Black.
- 2. Base lids Antique Gold; shade Raw Sienna and highlight Yellow Ochre. Outline bottles and lids Lamp Black. Paint lid dots and paint spill in same colors, shading, and highlighting as bottle color. Highlight Lt. Buttermilk.
- Paint Brushes
- 1. Base handles Graphite; shade Lamp Black and highlight Neutral Grey. Base ferrules Grey Sky; shade Slate Grey and highlight Lt. Buttermilk. Line brush bristles Lamp Black and Slate Grey. Paint green paint splotch on brush in same manner as Green Mist paint splotch.
- Glass Jars
- 1. Wash jars edges Lt. Buttermilk. Wash water in jars Williamsburg Blue. Add Lt. Buttermilk highlight shines. Loosely outline jars Lamp Black.
- 1. Paint "Artist At Work" with Lamp Black.
- 1. Use Lt. Avocado to shade behind cats and jars on top background area. Use Yellow Ochre to shade behind cats and jars on desk top; deepen with Burnt Umber. Repeat same for desk top lines, and around bottles and paint brush handle.
- 2. Apply several finishing coats.
by Yvette Perrin