- DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Bittersweet Orange, Crimson, Lamp Black, Red Pepper, White
- Royal & Langnickel Aqualon: Round, Series 2250, #1, #3; Liner, Series R2595, #10/0; Shader, Series R2150, #4, #6, #8; Angular, Series R2160, 1/4"
- Floral pockets (small, medium) available through Linda Hollander
- DecoArt SoSoft: Transparent Medium; Undercoat White
- Clear wide sealing tape
- Optional: White and black 3/4" buttons, two each; sewing needle; black and white thread
- 1. Print out patterns. Transfer basic pattern lines; cover pattern with sealing tape to prevent stylus from poking through paper. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 2. Use appropriate size brushes and several coats Undercoat White to base checks and white areas of chickens. Let dry.
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use dry or damp brushes; fabric paint should not be thinned with water. Use Transparent Medium to float or to thin paint for line-work. Remove mistakes on areas not intended to be painted immediately with a wet brush and soap.
- 1. Use White and #6 shader to paint checks; use stylus to add dots between checks.
- Rooster and Hen
- 1. Use shaders to base bodies White. Dry. Use 1/4" angular to apply.
- 2. Transparent Medium coat over white areas of rooster. Corner-load dirty brush with White + tch. Lamp Black then blend on palette for medium grey value; shade neck feathers, wing, and body. epeat for hen. Load clean brush with small amount Transparent Medium. Corner-load Lamp Black then blend on palette; add additional shading to area under hen's neck feathers, wings, and tail feathers. Repeat for rooster's wing feathers. Use liner and White to paint tips of hen's tail feathers.
- 3. Add Lamp Black crosshatching on neck feathers. Use stylus to add Lamp Black dip-dots on bodies. Use liner to paint eyes Lamp Black; line White highlight shines.
- 4. Line rooster's tail feathers from top to bottom with Crimson, Bittersweet Orange, and Antique Gold. Dry brush highlights with Bittersweet Orange, Antique Gold, and White, respectively.
- 5. Use Antique Gold, rounds and liner brushes to base legs, feet, and beaks; use touch of Bittersweet Orange to blend shading. Line Lamp Black detailing on legs. Highlight rooster's feet White. Use stylus to add a tiny Lamp Black nostril on hen's beak.
- 6. For combs and waddle, use rounds to base several coats Crimson; blend Red Pepper highlights. Use touch of Bittersweet Orange to add second highlight. Use liner to add small Antique Gold comma stroke highlights in highlighted areas.
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to cure paint. Use opposite colored thread to sew buttons on base of handles if desired. Fill bags with approximately 2" water; add cut flowers. To launder, hand wish with mild soap and warm water; lay flat to dry.
- 1. Celebrate May Day: Surprise your neighbor or friends with these charming pockets. Hang a pocket full of spring flowers on their doorknobs; the trick is to not get caught!
by Linda Hollander