- Zinnia banner kit available through The Creative Touch
- JoSonja’s Artists’ Acrylics: Background Colors: Azure Blue, Harbour Blue; Artist Colors: Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Yellow Mid, Carbon Black, Dioxazine Purple, Green Oxide, Red Earth, Warm White, Yellow Orange
- Scharff Brushes: White Bristle: “Dome” Short Handle Round, Series 245, #8; Golden Taklon: Short “Moon” Filbert, Series 425, 1/2”, 3/4”; Round, Series 405, #4; Flat, Series 140, #14, #20; Angle, Series 155, 1/2”; Dresden Liner, Series 455, #0; White Bristle Long Fitch, Series 822, 1-1/2”
- JoSonja’s Mediums: Clear Glaze Medium; Retarder Medium; Flow Medium; Varnish, Matte
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. Use filbert to slip-slap background; load brush with indicated color then pull short “X” strokes. For applying multiple colors, work with dirty brush in a wet-on-wet technique. For a soft transparent background, apply a coat of glazing medium to surface first and to brush.
- 2. Floor cloth canvas is a very heavy grade canvas that is sturdy and can withstand foot traffic and severe weather conditions. To ensure canvas will lay flat and not curl, it is necessary to apply multiple coats of strong poly varnish to front and back of canvas.
- 3. Canvas is already primed and ready to paint. Base canvas Azure Blue. Let dry. Moisten 3/4" moon filbert with Glazing Medium and slip-slap canvas; pick up Azure Blue and slip-slap over wet area. Add Harbour Blue to dirty brush and slip-slap first color; while wet, slip-slap small amount of Dioxazine Purple over first two colors. Let dry.
- Artist’s tips
- 1. Print out pattern; transfer all details to bottom of banner.
- 1. Working wet-into-wet, use 1/2” moon filbert to base each petal Yellow Orange in dark areas and Cadmium Yellow Mid in light areas; blend where colors meet.
- 2. Apply thin layer gel retarder over each petal. Use #20 flat and mix of Yellow Orange + Red Earth (2:1) to shade and use 1/2” moon filbert and mix of Cadmium Yellow Lt. + Warm White (1:1) to highlight. Dry. Reapply gel retarder. Deepen shadows with first shading mix + Dioxazine Purple (1:1) and brighten highlights with Warm White + Cadmium Yellow Lt. (3:1).
- 3. Tint light application of Green Oxide on some flower petal tips.
- Flower Center
- 1. Base roughly with mix of Green Oxide + Cadmium Yellow Lt. (3:1). Use round brush and mix of Cadmium Yellow Lt. + Warm White (1:1) to add comma stroke petals. Use 1/2” moon filbert and thinned Dioxazine Purple to shade along bottom of center. Use mix of Red Earth + Dioxazine Purple (2:1) to deepen petal shadows closest to center; shade behind entire center.
- 1. Base Cadmium Yellow Mid.; use #20 flat to shade bottom of letters with mix of Yellow Orange + Red Earth (2:1) and highlight top of letters with mix of Cadmium Yellow Lt. + Warm White (1:1).
- 1. Base bodies Cadmium Yellow Mid. Base head and stripes Carbon Black. Use #14 flat and Burnt Umber to shade underside of bodies and use dome round and mix of Cadmium Yellow Lt. + Warm White (1:1) to dry brush highlights on upper part of body and head. Use liner and thinned Carbon Black to paint antennae and legs.
- 2. Side-load angle brush with Warm White to paint wings. Use Flow Medium to thin Carbon Black; add detail veins.
- 1. Apply even coat Glaze Medium over design area. Let dry. For outside use, apply multiple varnish coats. Let dry. Carefully cut around petals along bottom of banner.
- 2. Paint rod and finials Harbour Blue. Let dry. Apply two to three varnish coats.
- 3. To assemble, apply glue along top edge of back of banner; fold over for a 2" pocket. Apply weight over glued area and allow to dry completely.
- 4. Apply two to three varnish coats to back of banner to avoid curling. Let dry.
- 5. Thread rod through pocket; glue finials to ends. Tie cording to rod ends.
by Anne Hunter