Lil Easter Favors
- Jiffy Pots, round peat pots 3-1/2”x3-1/4” tall (from your local garden center)
- Small wooden laser tags (#101363), 2-1/4”, two, from Cabin Crafters
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Baby Pink, Festive Green, Foliage Green, Jack-O’-Lantern Orange, Grape Juice, Grey Sky, Peaches ‘n Cream, Pineapple, Purple Cow, Razzle Berry, Saffron Yellow, Salem Blue, Sapphire, Snow (Titanium) White
- Royal & Langnickel brushes: Aqualon: Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 3/4”; Angular, Series R2160, 1/4”, 3/8”; Round, Series 2250, #3; Shader, Series R2150, #8; Decorative Art Brushes: Deerfoot, Series 393, 1/4”
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Acrylic Gesso; Americana Pearlizing Medium
- Black micron pens: .01, .05
- 1. Apply several Gesso coats over pots and tags. Allow pots to dry thoroughly. Sand tags lightly. Use glaze wash brush to undercoat one pot Baby Pink and the other Pineapple.
- 2. For chick pot, base inside and rim Foliage Green, and outside Purple Cow. For bunny pot, base inside and rim Purple Cow, and outside Foliage Green. Use Pearlizing Medium to apply a thin top coat over all surfaces.
- 3. Print out pattern. Transfer basic chick and bunny pattern lines onto pots; freehand or trace jelly bean row on pot rims and transfer jelly bean tag pattern onto tag omitting name. (Transfer details as needed.) (Option: Trace chick and bunny pattern outline onto card stock; cut out images, secure to pot, and trace around images.)
- 1. Use shader and Pineapple to base head and wing; use angular shaders to shade Saffron Yellow. Use round brush to base beak Peaches ‘n Cream; use 1/4” angular shader to shade Jack-O’-Lantern Orange and highlight Snow White. Use deerfoot to dry brush cheeks with mix of Razzle Berry + Snow White (1:1). Use round brush to base eyes Snow White.
- 1. Use shader and round brush, and Snow White to base head, ears, and body; use angular shader to shade Grey Sky. Base inside of ears Baby Pink; use 1/4” angular shader to shade a touch of Razzle Berry. Use round brush to base nose Baby Pink; use 1/4” angular shader to shade Razzle Berry. Use dry deerfoot to dry brush cheeks with mix of Razzle Berry + Snow White (1:1). Use round brush to paint teeth Snow White.
- 1. Use round brush to base Salem Blue; use 1/4” angular shader to shade Sapphire and to highlight Snow White.
- Jelly Beans
- 1. Use round brush to basecoat and 1/4” angular shader to shade as follows: orange bean, Peaches ‘n Cream/Jack-O’-Lantern Orange; purple bean, Purple Cow/Grape Juice; yellow bean, Pineapple/Saffron Yellow; green bean, Foliage Green/Festive Green; pink bean, Baby Pink/Razzle Berry. Float Snow White highlights, then use round brush to add Snow White highlight shines.
- 1. Use .01 micron pen to draw all detailing and to outline characters, bows, and jelly beans. (Note: Allow pen to skip over texture of pots here and there.) Use .05 micron pen to freehand lettering on name tags. Allow ink to dry at least 30 minutes. Spray several light sealer coats.
by Linda Hollander