Santa Star Box
- Paper mache star box (#35-9306; approximately 10-1/2”) from Viking Woodcrafts
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique White, Arbor Green, Base Flesh, Black Plum, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Cadmium Red, Graphite, Hauser Dark Green, Khaki Tan, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Neutral Grey, Rookwood Red, Shading Flesh
- Royal & Langnickel brushes: Aqualon: Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 3/4”; Shader, Series R2150, #2, #4, #6, #8; Angular, Series R2160, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Liner, Series R2595, #10/0, #0; Round, Series 2250, #3; Filbert Wisp, Series R2935, 1/2”; Filbert, Series 2170, #10; Script Liner, Series R2585, #1; Oval Wash, Series R2950, 1/2”; Mini Majestic: Round, Series R4200R, #20/0; Decorative Art: Deerfoot Stippler, Series 6600, 1/4”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Foam sponge
- Black technical pen, .25
- 1. Apply sealer to entire outer surface of box and lid. Base sides of box bottom Hauser Dk. Green; sponge Arbor Green. Base top and sides of lid Arbor Green. Use #8 shader to paint Hauser Dk. Green checks on box lid sides; sponge checks Arbor Green. Add Rookwood Red dots on basecoated Arbor Green checks. Shade Hauser Dk. Green on lid top along outer edges. Use slightly thinned Rookwood Red to paint outline 1/8” from edges; use full strength to add dots where lines meet.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines onto lid. (Transfer detailing as needed.)
- Santa Face and Nose
- 1. Base face Base Flesh; shade Shading Flesh below hat cuff, behind nose and along lower edge of nose. Highlight Buttermilk across top of nose. Dry brush cheeks Cadmium Red. Use mini majestic round brush to paint eyes Lamp Black; use Buttermilk to add highlight dots and to paint eyebrows.
- Santa Hat and Coat
- 1. Base each Rookwood Red. Shade Black Plum on hat above cuff and behind creases. Shade Black Plum all around sleeve edges, along each side of center fur, beneath beard, and behind banner; highlight Cadmium Red on coat next to sleeves and above hat creases.
- Fur Areas
- 1. Base Khaki Tan; stipple Antique White. Shade Burnt Umber along bottom of pom-pom, on lower edge of hat cuff, on sleeve cuffs behind banner, on coat front fur under beard and behind banner, and on lower coat fur along bottom edge and behind where coat flaps overlap. Highlight Buttermilk along top of pom-pom, top of hat cuff, top edges of sleeve cuffs, and along top edges of lower coat fur.
- 1. Base Graphite; shade Lamp Black beneath lower coat fur, behind boot tops, on left edge of right boot, and above soles. Highlight Neutral Grey on top of shoes and top of soles.
- Beard & Mustache
- 1. Base Buttermilk; shade Khaki Tan on beard below mustache and along outer edges.
- 1. Base Buttermilk; shade Khaki Tan along upper and lower edges, and behind creases on tail ends. Use slightly thinned Rookwood Red to paint lettering; use full strength to add dots.
- 1. Base Hauser Dk. Green; shade Lamp Black under thumbs, next to banner, and behind sleeve cuffs. Highlight Arbor Green on thumbs.
- 1. Use pen to add all outlining, detailing lines, and stitching lines.
- 2. Apply several sealer coats.
by Nancy Wood