Snowman's Tavern Box
- File box with lid (8”x11-1/4”x4” without lid)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Berry Red, Bittersweet Chocolate, Boysenberry Pink, Bubblegum Pink, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Canyon Orange, Cherry Red, Forest Green, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Mustard Seed, Raw Sienna, Sapphire, Tomato Red, Warm White
- Royal & Langnickel brushes: Majestic: Angular, Series R4160, 1/8”, 1/4”, 1/2”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0; Round, Series R4250, #4, #6; Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2, #4, #6, #10; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- Stencil brush, 1/8”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- White tube sock
- 1. Base sides of box with two coats Cherry Red; set aside. Base lid and lid sides with two coats Buttermilk, sanding lightly between coats. Wrap a piece of slightly dampened white tube sock around two index fingers; dab into Burnt Umber and rub over entire lid, then randomly “scuff” surface with same cloth to achieve a mottled background keeping antiqued look light.
- 2. Mask off 1/8” border around top edge of lid and along top side edges of lid; run finger along tape edges for tight seal. Paint borders Sapphire. Remove tape. Use 1/2” angular to shade Burnt Umber along inner and outer edges of blue borders.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines onto lid top and leaf design on lid sides. Paint leaf design Warm White; shade Burnt Umber under each leaf.
- 1. Base house sections Buttermilk. Wash windowpanes Buttermilk. Use Forest Green to base roofs, around edges of house entrance, shutters on window at right on first floor, window frames of small windows on front top of house and to each side of door, and door. Use Hauser Med. Green to float detailing on roof shingling and shutter louvers; shade remaining green areas. Base snowman’s head and body Warm White.
- 2. Use Raw Sienna to base chimney, tavern sign, snowman’s overcoat, and flower boxes. Use Burnt Umber to lightly outline tavern sign and curled edges; add stripes to chimney, snowman’s overcoat, and flower boxes. Use Warm White to paint “Snowman’s Tavern” wording.
- 3. Base snowman’s top hat Burnt Umber; base nose Canyon Orange and dot eyes Bittersweet Chocolate. For top hat flower, base petals Berry Red, and stem and leaf Forest Green. Paint ladder Bittersweet Chocolate.
- 4. Base remaining window frames Cherry Red and awnings on either side of door. Base all candy cane poles Warm White; add Cherry Red stripes, and then thinner Hauser Lt. Green stripes below red stripes. Do not add green stripes to pavilion poles.
- 5. Add Hauser Lt. Green holly leaves to all window boxes; use Hauser Dk. Green to shade, outline, and paint center veins. Base all flowers Boysenberry Pink; add Bubblegum Pink swirl details and outline each flower with Bittersweet Chocolate. Add Hauser Med. Green sprout curls between holly leaves where indicated on pattern.
- 6. Add Cherry Red wrought iron swirls above front entrance to either side. Add Cherry Red detailing above small windows on house front. Add Forest Green detailing above door frame and above large windows on house; add detailing to awnings. Paint flower in roof window in same manner as snowman’s top hat flower. Use Hauser Dk. Green to outline door and door window, and to paint doorknob.
- 7. Paint every other fence post and framing Cherry Red; paint remaining posts Boysenberry Pink. Add Bubblegum Pink swirls to Boysenberry Pink posts. Shade Tomato Red along right side of red posts.
- 8. Use Mustard Seed to add wide shading along left side of each windowpane, then add narrow Burnt Umber shading along left and right edges; repeat on left side to deepen.
- 9. Base glass ball ornament in rooftop window Sapphire. Base jingle bells and remaining ornaments Sapphire (S), Cherry Red (R), and Hauser Lt. Green (G) as indicated on pattern. Dry brush Warm White highlights, then add comma stroke highlight shines. Add Burnt Umber finishing details on each. Use Warm White to add star ornaments and stars in sky; shade Burnt Umber.
- 10. Use Burnt Umber to shade all Buttermilk areas of house, sides of house, around window frames, etc.; shade behind house. Use Warm White to “blob” on snow along roof tops, roof window, and ground. Allow to dry several hours. Lightly shade Burnt Umber around ground snow, along fence posts, house, and candy cane posts. Use Warm White to add smoke curls from chimney; shade Burnt Umber.
- 1. Use Bittersweet Chocolate to base trees working from base of each tree up into branches, twisting brush as you work. Add hints of Warm White snow between branches.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats.
by Monika Brint