Heartfelt Valentine Greeting
- Pre-cut wood pieces available through Wood Crafts from the Heart
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Berry Red, Bubblegum Pink, Cadmium Orange, Citron Green, Cranberry Wine, Festive Green, Jack-O’-Lantern Orange, Light Buttermilk, Primary Yellow, Razzle Berry, Royal Fuchsia, Sour Apple
- Royal & Langnickel brushes: Majestic: Angular, Series R4160, 1/4”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0; Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2, #4, #6, #10; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Twine or matching ribbon of choice for hanger
- Eyelet woodscrews, four
- 1. Mix A = Sour Apple + Citron Green (1:1)
- 2. Base one side of both wood pieces with one coat Lt. Buttermilk; base side edges Festive Green. Sand in direction of wood grain; wipe dust. Base front and sides again.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines onto surfaces. (Transfer detailing as needed.)
- 4. Using pattern as guide, base Section A and flowers 1, 3, and 4 Jack-O-Lantern Orange. Base Section B and all leaves with Mix A. Base all hearts and Section D Berry Red. Base flowers 2 and 5 Royal Fuchsia. Base flower 6 and Sections C and E Bubblegum Pink.
- 1. Use Festive Green to shade along bottom edges and to line center veins; lightly outline each leaf to define shape.
- Section B
- 1. Shade Festive Green along edges of rectangle. Use #2 shader and thinned Festive Green to paint stripes.
- Section A
- 1. Use Cadmium Orange to paint outer frame; leaving approximately 1/8” between rectangle and frame, shade outer edges of Jack-O-Lantern Orange rectangle. Use handle end of brush and Mix A to add dip-dots. Use Festive Green to add detailing under middle heart at left.
- Section C
- 1. Use Royal Fuchsia to paint outer frame; shade outer edges of Bubblegum Pink rectangle leaving approximately 1/8” space between rectangle and frame. Use Royal Fuchsia to shade behind all elements in rectangle. Paint little flowers Royal Fuchsia; dot centers with Mix A. Line stems and paint leaves Festive Green. Paint single flower between Section A and Section C in same manner.
- Section D
- 1. Shade Cranberry Wine approximately 1/8” from outer edges of rectangle.
- Section E
- 1. Use Royal Fuchsia to paint outer frame; leaving approximately 1/8” space between rectangle and frame, shade outer edges of Bubblegum Pink rectangle. Use #6 shader and thinned Royal Fuchsia to paint stripes.
- Flowers 1, 2, and 6
- 1. For flower 1, paint inner swirl Cadmium Orange. For flower 2, paint inner swirl Razzle Berry. And for flower 6, paint inner swirl Royal Fuchsia.
- Flowers 3, 4, and 5
- 1. Use Cadmium Orange to paint outer edges of flowers 3 and 4, and use Razzle Berry to paint outer edges of flower 5. For each flower, paint inner flowers Royal Fuchsia and outer edges with Mix A. Use Primary Yellow to dot flower centers, to add dots on petals, and to paint lines from petal dots.
- 1. Use Mix A to paint “Happy Valentines” and “From” and use Razzle Berry to paint name. Use handle end of brush and Mix A to add dip-dots to left of heart on bottom plaque. Loosely outline edges of both plaques Festive Green.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats over painted surfaces. Use twine or matching ribbon to secure plaques and to form hanger.
by Monika Brint