"Bee" My Valentine Pillow
- Cotton fabric, 12” square, cream or light color
- DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Baby Pink Deep, Burnt Sienna, Buttermilk, Christmas Green, Christmas Red, Dark Burgundy, Dark Chocolate, Grey Sky, Lamp Black, Light Soft Sage, Primary Yellow, Soft Peach
- FM Dynasty brushes: Black Gold, Series 206: Round, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8; Shader, #14; Script, #20/0, #5/0; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 3/8”; Fabric Round, Series B1500, #4, #8
- DecoArt SoSoft Transparent Medium (DSF1-5)
- Black Micron-Pen, .01
- Red pre-made pillow, 18” square
- Red sheer ribbon, 1/2”-wide
- Lace to match 12” fabric square, 2”-wide
- Buttons: pink, 1/4”, three; white: 3/8”, one; 1/2”, four
- Thread: red, white
- Cardboard, 14” square
- Optional: Fabric glue
- 1. Wash fabric omitting fabric softener; hang dry and press flat. Print out pattern; use micron pen to retrace pattern lines. Lay fabric over pattern and use micron-pen to transfer pattern using light table or window; it is essential to use permanent pen to prevent ink from running when painting. (Note: For window transfer, tape pattern onto window then center and tape fabric over pattern.) Staple fabric edges onto cardboard.
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. Use round brushes to basecoat, shader to float shading, fabric rounds to dry brush highlights, 5/0 script liner to paint letters and apron strokes, 20/0 script liner to paint smaller details, and mop brush to blend floated colors. Use pattern as guide to shade (///) and highlight (...). To shade, dip shader in water, wipe off on paper towel so brush is only damp and load brush with Transparent Medium; dip corner of brush into paint and work into brush. Wash brush often.
- 1. Use Buttermilk to base face, hair, wings, hands, apron, apron lace, and socks. Base dress Baby Pink Deep. Paint wing hearts and sock heels Christmas Red. Paint arrow head Christmas Green.
- 2. Use Dk. Chocolate to float hair color; deepen darker areas. Use same color to shade socks, wings, and apron lace. Float Soft Peach on face and hands; shade Burnt Sienna. Add Buttermilk polka-dots to dress. Shade dress Christmas Red and deepen with Dk. Burgundy. Add Christmas Red pinstripes to apron and bow; shade apron and bow. Use Lamp Black to dot eyes, to paint stitches on heels dotting ends, and to paint arrow shaft.
- 3. Use micron-pen to add detailing on wings, stitch line across bottom of apron, eyelashes and eyebrows, and sock stitch lines. Add Buttermilk strokes lines on apron lace.
- 1. Base wings Buttermilk, dark body areas Lamp Black, light body areas Primary Yellow, hearts Christmas Red, and leaves Lt. Soft Sage.
- 2. Shade leaves Christmas Green; paint flower stem and add leaf detailing. Dot flower stem ends Christmas Red. Shade wings Dk. Chocolate. Shade yellow body areas Burnt Sienna and highlight black body areas Grey Sky. Use Lamp Black to paint antennae and to add wing details dotting ends; dot eyes. Ink eyebrows and mouth.
- Background Hearts and Words
- 1. Base pink heart Baby Pink Deep; add Buttermilk highlight dots. Shade Christmas Red. Paint red hearts Christmas Red; shade large hearts Dk. Burgundy. Use Lamp Black to paint words and to add stitch detailing on large hearts dotting ends.
- 1. Use micron-pen to re-ink detailing and outline as needed.
- 2. Remove fabric from cardboard. Iron back of fabric panel to heat set paint placing white cloth under painted side. Cut fabric panel into a 10-1/4” square. Center and pin panel onto pillow; use white thread to base panel onto pillow. Pin lace over panel edges, cutting corners as needed; sew or glue lace in place. Using photo as guide, baste a red decorative line along panel edges.
- 3. Tie four bows from ribbon; sew (or glue) buttons to center of bow. Sew or glue bows to corners of panel. Using photo as guide, sew remaining buttons to large hearts and hair.
by Karen Wisner