Mini Valentine Pocket Tree Ornaments
- Mini Rusty Tin Pockets (#11-RT8115, three); Wood Hearts (#01-H302, 3/4”, six); Silver Craft Wire (#11-0302, 24-gauge); Three Arm Easel (#11-E155); Glass Beads: pink, lavender, crystal; mini pastel flowers and foliage; Bar Pins (1-1/4”), three (optional) from Cupboard Distributing
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Cool White, Lilac, Pansy Lavender, Pink Chiffon, Shale Green, Soft Sage, Spice Pink, Warm White
- FM Dynasty brushes Black Gold, Series 206: Script, #20/0; Liner, #0, #1; Round, #0; Filbert, #4; Angular, 1/8”, 1/4”; Shader, #6; Deerfoot, 1/4”; Flat Wash, 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Toothpicks, six
- Pink iridescent ribbon, 1/4”-wide
- Styrofoam scarp or air dry clay
- Apple cider vinegar
- Optional: Small Valentine words rubber stamp; hot pink ink pad
- 1. Carefully remove handles from pockets. Wipe pockets with apple cider vinegar to neutralize metal; let dry. Apply multi-purpose sealer onto pockets.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines onto each pocket. (Transfer detailing as needed.)
- Rose Pocket
- 1. Use flat wash to base pocket Warm White; float Spice Pink along bottom. For leaves, load Soft Sage on toe of 1/4” angular and Shale Green on heel; keeping toe at tip of leaf, pull leaf from outside to center. Use script to add thinned Soft Sage veins. Use 1/8” angular to shade Spice Pink behind three bottom leaves.
- 2. Use filbert to base roses Pink Chiffon; use 1/8” angular to shade Spice Pink along bottom of each rose and around center. For petals, load script with Spice Pink; pull comma strokes from right side to center. In same manner, load Cool White and pull comma strokes from left side to center.
- 3. Use #1 liner to paint ribbon Lilac; use script to shade Pansy Lavender along bottom edge and right sides of ribbon and use Cool White to highlight top edge. Use stylus to add Lilac tri-dots around roses.
- 4. Use shader to base top band Pink Chiffon; use 1/4” angular to shade Spice Pink along bottom edge. Load 1/4” angular with Warm White and float lace across top of band. Add tiny Spice Pink straight comma strokes on lace. Use stylus to add Warm White dots along bottom edge of lace. Use #1 liner to paint raised band Spice Pink.
- Daisy Pocket
- 1. Use flat wash to base pocket Lilac; float Pansy Lavender along bottom. Use #0 liner to paint leaves and stems Soft Sage; use script to darken bottom edges Shale Green and add tiny Cool White highlight along top.
- 2. For daisies, load round brush with Cool White; start at outer edge and pull petals to center of flower. Dot centers Spice Pink; add tiny Cool White highlight dots.
- 3. Double load #0 liner with Pink Chiffon and Spice Pink; paint ribbon keeping Pink Chiffon towards top. Use script to highlight top and left edges Cool White. Add Cool White tri-dots around daisies.
- 4. Use shader to base top band Warm White; use 1/4” angular to shade Pink Chiffon along bottom edge. Use thinned Soft Sage to paint vine and leaves. Add Spice Pink tri-dots; add tiny Cool White highlight dots on upper left of each dot. Use #1 liner to paint raised band Spice Pink.
- Violet Pocket
- 1. Use flat wash to base pocket Pink Chiffon; use 1/4” angular to shade Spice Pink along bottom edge. Paint leaves in same manner as Rose Pocket leaves omitting shading behind leaves.
- 2. For flowers, double-load #1 liner with Lilac and Pansy Lavender; starting at outer tip, pull petal to center. Add Cool White tri-dots for flower centers and around flowers.
- 3. Base top band Warm White; use 1/4” angular to shade Lilac along bottom edge. Add Spice Pink comma strokes and Lilac dots. Use #1 liner to paint raised band Pansy Lavender.
- Wooden Hearts
- 1. Use flat wash and Lilac to base three hearts and three toothpicks; use 1/4” angular to shade Pansy Lavender along bottom and up right side of hearts and highlight Cool White along top and left side.
- 2. Base three hearts and three toothpicks Pink Chiffon; shade Spice Pink along bottom and right side, and highlight Cool White along top and left side of hearts.
- 3. Use script to paint lettering Spice Pink. (Optional: Stamp hot pink words.)
- 1. Apply several light finishing coats on pockets and hearts. Cut three 5” lengths from wire. String beads onto each wire in following order: two pink, two lavender, two crystal; repeat six more times. Thread wire ends through pocket holes from inside out; coil ends tightly around thin brush handle.
- 2. Use glue gun to glue hearts to toothpicks. Cut a small piece of Styrofoam to fit inside pocket or partially fill pockets with air-dry clay. Apply small glue dot to end of pick; arrange hearts as shown. Arrange flowers and foliage as shown; secure with glue. Tie ribbon in a bow to handles. Hang pockets on easel. (Optional: Glue bar pin to back of pockets.)
by Chris Haughey