- Wooden spools, in various sizes: large, medium, small, extra small, short
- Wooden items: 3/4” flat bead, 5/8” button, 1/2” button plug
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Bright Orange, Cocoa, Flesh Tone, Khaki Tan, Lamp Black, Light Cinnamon, Primary Red, Sand, Sour Apple, Warm White; Dazzling Metallics: Shimmering Silver
- Darice Craftwood wooden items: 1” bucket, 2”x18” picket fence
- Chenille stems: brown, green, black, metallic blue
- Construction paper, scraps: beige, light green, dark green, white
- Yellow pony beads, seven
- Cording, 10” length
scissors, ruler, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Wood glue
- Markers: red, brown, black
- 1. Cover work surface with newspaper. Print out pattern.
- 2. For giraffe, paint one large spool (body), one medium spool (head), and six small spools (neck and legs) Sand. Let dry. Paint spots Cocoa.
- 3. For zebra, paint one large spool (body), one medium spool (head), and two small spools (legs) Warm White. Let dry. Paint stripes on zebra Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 4. For snake, paint eight small spools (body) Sour Apple. Let dry. Paint spots Bright Orange. Thread body spool, yellow pony bead, body spool, and so on, onto cording length. Knot ends. Paint one cording end (tongue) Primary Red and other end Sour Apple. Let dry.
- 5. For zookeeper, paint one medium spool (body), four small spools (arms and legs), and button (hat) Khaki Tan. Paint bead (face) Flesh Tone. Paint ends of arms Flesh Tone, shoes Lamp Black, hat band Primary Red, and hair Cocoa. Let dry.
- 6. For tree, paint 11 short spools Cocoa. For branches, cut nine green chenille stems into varying lengths. Glue leaves onto branches.
- 7. For fence and water bucket, paint fence mixture of Cocoa and water. Let dry. Paint bucket Shimmering Silver. Glue curled blue chenille stem (water) inside bucket.
- 8. Glue body, head, arms, legs, and tree trunk pieces together. See photo. Glue ears on giraffe and zebra, brown chenille stem antlers on giraffe, and branches on tree inserting chenille stem ends into top spool opening.
- 9. Dot eyes Lamp Black. Let dry. Highlight dot eyes Warm White. Let dry.
- 10. Use brown marker to outline giraffe spots and red marker to write “Zoo Keeper” on keeper, draw keeper smile, and write “Water” on bucket.
by Pam Sicely