Leprechaun Treat Can
- Recycled canister, 7” tall
- Foam plate and cup (for hat)
- Glitter craft foam: white, black
- Creative Paperclay Delight Air-Dry Clay: White
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Forest Green, Soft Peach, Razzle Berry, Heritage Brick; Star Lite Varnish
- Clear rhinestone, 1”
- Wiggle eyes, two
- Red marker
- Aleene’s Super Thick Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, toothpick, aluminum foil, foam brush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. For hat, position foam cup upside down on work surface. Glue foam plate centered on cup. Let dry. On covered work surface, paint hat Forest Green. Let dry. Use foam brush to apply Star Lite Varnish on hat. Measure and cut 1”-wide black glitter craft foam strip. Glue strip around hat.
- 2. On clean work surface, remove clay from package. To condition, roll clay in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning. For shamrock, roll three 1” balls and press together. Roll small stem; press on side of shamrock. Use toothpick to add leaf lines. Let dry overnight to harden.
- 3. On covered work surface, paint shamrock Forest Green. Apply Star Lite Varnish. Let dry. Glue rhinestone on center of shamrock. Glue Shamrock on center of hat band.
- 4. Apply gesso on outside of canister. Let dry. For beard, form half-moon shape from clay. Use toothpick to add hair lines. Wrap canister in foil. Press beard on foil. Let dry overnight. Remove beard.
- 5. For ears, roll two 1/2” clay teardrops. For bowtie, roll three 1/2” clay balls. Press bowtie shapes together. Let dry.
- 6. Measure and mark 2-1/2” from bottom of canister. Paint area from bottom of can to mark Forest Green. Paint bowtie Forest Green. Let dry.
- 7. Paint upper portion of canister (face), ears, and nose Soft Peach. Let dry. Highlight ears Razzle Berry. Let dry. Paint hair and beard Heritage Brick. Paint cheeks Razzle Berry. Let dry.
- 8. Measure and cut two white glitter craft foam strips (collar). Glue collar around canister. Glue bowtie, beard, nose, wiggle eyes, and ears on canister.
- 9. Apply Star Lite Varnish over all areas of can. Let dry. Use red marker to draw smile.
by Sandy Rollinger