- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 4” egg, 1-1/2” ball
- Black tights or sock
- White sports sock
- Felt: 1-1/2” black circle; dark tan, scrap
- Inexpensive stretch glove
- Thread, coordinating colors
- Pink pom-pom, 1/4”
- Small black beads, two
- Gold cording or thread
scissors, serrated knife, bar of soap, twist ties, sewing needle
- White craft glue
- 1. Adults, help kids when using knife. Wax serrated knife with soap. Cut small slice from wide end of 4” egg so egg can stand upright. Cut small slice from narrow end. Cut small slice from side of 1-1/2” ball.
- 2. Twist together cut sides of egg and ball to fit together snugly. Glue head on body.
- 3. Print out patterns.
- 4. When finished, add small greenery if desired. Attach gold cording on top of ornaments for hanger.
- 1. Push head down into toe of black sock. Pull sock tightly around body. Gather sock together under bottom of penguin and wrap twist-tie around sock. Trim away excess sock. Remove twist-tie and push scissors point into bottom of penguin. Apply glue into hole.
- 2. Use scissors point to push edges of sock into hole. Use craft pins to hold. Glue 1-1/2” black felt circle onto bottom of penguin.
- 3. Cut chest from white sports sock. Glue chest onto front of penguin. Use craft pins to hold in place while drying.
- 4. Cut wings from black sock. With right sides together, use needle and thread to sew wings together using 1/8” seam. Clip and turn right sides out.
- 5. Cut small slits through sock and into body on sides. Apply glue along cut edge and push ends of wings into foam.
- 6. Cut feet and beak from dark tan felt and glue in place. Glue black beads (eyes) on face.
- 7. Cut tip from finger on bright-colored stretch glove. Roll cut edge and position over top of penguin head for hat. Glue pom-pom on hat top.
- 8. Cut 1”-wide strip from wrist area on sock. Stretch and wrap strip around neck for scarf. Spot glue to secure.
by Kathleen George for Dow Chemical Company