Peppermint Skating Penguins
size: banners, 4-7/8"x7-1/4"; ornaments, 4-1/2"x5-1/2"
- Cabin Crafters, set of three: Mini Banners (#101313) or Penguin Ornament Cut-outs (#101874)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Burnt Sienna, Cool White, Festive Green, Grey Sky, Lamp Black, Navy Blue, Ocean Blue, Petal Pink, Razzle Berry, Sour Apple, Spicy Mustard, Titanium White, Warm White; Glamour Dust Ultra-Fine Glitter Paint: Ice Crystal
- Ribbon, 1/8”-wide
- White craft wire, 20-gauge (for ornaments)
stylus, sandpaper, tracing paper, graphite paper, paper towel, old toothbrush, scissors, craft glue
- Loew-Cornell Brushes: Series 7550 Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7350 Liner 10/0; Golden Taklon Series 7300 Shader #2, 4, 8; Series 8400 Angular Shader 1/4”, 3/8”, 3/4”; Series 7000 Round #2, 5
- DecoArt: Glazing Medium, Matte Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Glamour Dust, Ornamental Snow-Tex
- 1. Use water to thin paint where sheer paint is needed. Use appropriate-size shaders and rounds to basecoat. Use appropriate-size angular shaders to float shading and highlights.
- 1. Apply sealer on all surfaces. Lightly sand. Basecoat all surfaces Titanium White; let dry. Lightly sand.
- 2. Apply glazing medium on each banner using wet, wash brush. Quickly apply Titanium White blending into glazing medium using dirty wash brush. Pick up Ocean Blue on dirty brush and stroke horizontally from top to bottom. Dry thoroughly. Paint ground line 2” above bottom of banners using 3/4” angular shader side-loaded with Cool White.
- 3. Print out patterns. Transfer pattern outlines. (Note: Make tracing of pattern details and use to apply details after basecoating each area.)
- 4. Basecoat white areas on penguins Warm White. Float shading Grey Sky. Deepen shading using ultra-sheer Lamp Black. Basecoat black areas on penguins Lamp Black. Float wings using sheer Grey Sky. Load dry #5 round with small amount Grey Sky then offload excess onto dry paper towel; drybrush highlights on black areas.
- 5. Basecoat green hats and scarves Sour Apple + touch Titanium White. Float shading using sheer Festive Green. Float highlights Cool White. Drybrush highlights Cool White using #2 round brush. (Note: See Step #4 for proper loading technique). Paint ribbing on hat brim and stripe on scarves thinned Festive Green using liner brush.
- 6. Basecoat pink hats and scarves Petal Pink + touch Titanium White. Float shading using sheer Razzle Berry. Float highlights Warm White. Drybrush highlights Warm White using #2 round using Step #4 loading technique.
- 7. Basecoat beaks and feet Spicy Mustard. Float shading Burnt Sienna. Float highlights on beaks Titanium White. Add Lamp Black nostrils on beaks using liner. Basecoat skate straps Petal Pink and float shading Razzle Berry. Drybrush highlights on feet and straps Titanium White using liner.
- 8. Basecoat skates Cool White. Paint stripes Razzle Berry using #2 shader. Float narrow band of shading around all edges with sheer Navy Blue. Highlight down center Titanium White using liner.
- 9. Paint pupils Lamp Black and float highlights sheer Grey Sky. Paint eyelids Grey Sky and float shading on eyelids and white areas on eyes ultra-sheer Lamp Black. Add details with Lamp Black using liner. Paint eyebrows and highlight dot pupils Titanium White. Drybrush cheeks Petal Pink using #2 round using Step #4 for proper loading technique.
- 10. Float shading on ground on banners and ice floes on ornaments with sheer Ocean Blue; deepen shading using ultra-sheer Navy Blue. Use chisel edge of angular shaders and Ocean Blue to stroke shaded lines. Repeat step with Titanium White.
- 11. Drybrush motion lines on banner background Titanium White using #5 round. Paint snowflakes thinned Titanium White using liner. Spatter snow Titanium White thinned to heavy cream consistency using stiff brush. Apply Ice Crystal to highlighted areas on hats, scarves, and snow using side-loaded 3/8” angular shader.
- 12. Erase graphite lines. Spray sealer. Apply sealer onto banner dowels. While still wet, sprinkle with glamour dust. Insert brush handle into hole on each wooden ball. Use finger to dab ball with Snow-Tex. While still wet, sprinkle ball with glamour dust. Let dry. Apply small amount of glue onto each end of dowel. Attach wooden balls. Measure and cut six 12” ribbon lengths; thread ribbon through holes on banner tops and knot ends together. Insert dowels through ribbon loops.
- 13. For ornaments, cut 12” wire length. Curl one end of wire around paintbrush handle. Insert straight end into hole on front of ornament. Bend wire into hook shape and curl other wire end. Repeat for remaining ornaments.
by Linda Hollander