Pumpkin Bobby Pins
- Staedtler FIMO Soft Polymer Clay: Orange, Sunflower, Chocolate, Tropical Green
- Black bobby pins
- Staedtler FIMO Clay Slicer
- Clay roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- E6000 glue
- 1. On clean work surface, condition clay in hands until soft bending and rolling until pliable. Roll block of Sunflower clay into log.
- 2. Condition 1/2 block of Orange clay. Roll Orange clay into 1/4”-thick sheet. Wrap Orange clay sheet around Sunflower log, creating cane.
- 3. Roll remaining Orange clay into 1/8”-thick sheet. Wrap cane one more time with second Orange sheet.
- 4. Condition 1/4 block of Chocolate clay and roll into 1/16”-thick sheet. Wrap Chocolate sheet around cane.
- 5. Using thumb and forefinger, press cane into leaf shape. Press along length of cane keeping same-size diameter along length.
- 6. Cut cane in half. Reassemble two halves by placing side-by-side. Press two halves together and lengthen cane slightly.
- 7. Cut cane in half again. Reassemble two halves by placing them side-by-side. Press cane pieces together and curve tops and bottoms of leaf shapes together so cane forms pumpkin shape.
- 8. Condition 1/4 block of Tropical Green clay. Roll clay to 1/8”-thick sheet. Cut sheet in half and position one half over other, doubling thickness. Cut 1/8” strip from sheet for pumpkin stems.
- 9. For bobby pins, cut two 1/4” slices from cane. Insert bobby pin into side of each cane. Cut two slices of stem and press on each pumpkin.
- 10. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake bobby pins on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 11. Spot glue bobby pins to secure if needed.
by Ann & Karen Mitchell