- Recycled 2L bottle, top 5” portion
- Polyform Sculpey Bake Shop Clay: Black, Hot Pink, Yellow
- Yellow felt, 1” square
- Black string
- Black chenille stems
- Paper clips
- Black rickrack
wire cutters, black marker, toothpicks, scissors, sponge scrap, ruler, paper plate, teaspoon
- Circle hand punch, 1/4”
- Yellow acrylic paint
- Black paint pen
- Iridescent glitter
- Aleene’s Collage Pauge Instant Découpage Medium
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages and condition in hands until soft. For spiders, roll seven 1/4” Black clay balls; flatten slightly. For each spider, roll two tiny Yellow clay balls (for eyes). Roll smaller Hot Pink balls (for irises) and press onto eyes. Press eyes on bodies. Roll tiny Hot Pink balls (for mouths); press below eyes. Use toothpick to make tiny hole in each eye and mouth.
- 2. Adults, help kids when using wire cutters. Cut two small paper clips in half using wire cutters. Press four cut paper clips into four of spider backs leaving rounded ends sticking out (to hang).
- 3. Cut eight 1-1/4” lengths of black chenille stems for legs for each spider. Insert legs into spiders. Position spiders on parchment-lined baking sheet. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven. Follow manufacturer’s instruction to bake in oven. Let cool completely.
- 4. Use ruler to measure 5” from top of cap on 2L bottle. Use marker to draw around container. Use scissors to cut off bottom portion of container. Recycle bottom portion. On covered work surface, use sponge to paint bottle top yellow (for top of mobile). Let dry.
- 5. Pour découpage medium onto paper plate and sprinkle with glitter, mixing well. Dip sponge into mixture and then dab onto painted top of mobile. Let dry.
- 6. Punch four circles around perimeter of mobile with paper punch, spacing evenly. Thread several different-size lengths of black string onto paper clips on spider backs. Knot string at end of one spider and place felt square over knot. Glue on inside of bottle neck. Let dry.
- 7. Draw spider webs onto mobile using black dimensional paint. Let dry. For hanger, cut 14” black string length and knot ends together. Remove bottle cap and place knotted string inside. Apply glue on inside of cap and screw over string hanger.
- 8. Thread remaining three spider string ends into holes around mobile; knot ends. Glue black rickrack around cap and edge of mobile covering punched holes.
- 9. Glue remaining three spiders onto outside of mobile as shown. Let dry several hours before hanging.
by Sandy Rollinger for Polyform