Play Ball! Shadow Boxes
- AMACO Cloud Clay: Terra Cotta, Orange, White
- Wooden shadow boxes
scissors, pencil, ruler, drawing paper, paintbrush, sheet of aluminum foil, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Sea foam green acrylic paint
- Acrylic roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from package and knead in hands until soft. Using roller, roll clay into 1/8”-thick sheets.
- 2. Draw large triangle shape (pennant) and cut from Orange clay. Use photo as guide. Set aside to dry.
- 3. Roll small sheets of Orange and White clay for alphabet letters. Cut letters from sheets, one slightly smaller than other. Wet the back of smaller letter and attach onto larger letter. Attach assembled letter onto pennant.
- 4. For baseballs, roll two White balls. Flatten one side of each baseball and set aside to dry. For stitches, roll 1/8” Orange ball and flatten into thick sheet. Cut Orange clay into small pieces, dampen each piece, and attach onto baseball creating stitch marks.
- 5. For bat, roll large Terra Cotta log. Flatten back of bat slightly. Make baseball mitt from remainder of Terra Cotta clay. Curve mitt and position on balled up piece of aluminum foil to hold shape until dry.
- 6. On covered work surface, paint shadow boxes with one coat gesso. Let dry. Paint shadow boxes sea foam green. Set aside to dry.
- 7. Glue pennant, baseballs, mitt, and bat on shadow boxes. Dampen back of one baseball and press into mitt to attach.
by Helen Bradley for AMACO