Welcome to School Teacher's Wreath
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 12”x2”x2” wreath, three 2” balls
- Golf pencils, 32
- Crayons, 32
- School-print ribbon
- Measuring-tape print ribbon
- Plastic-coated wire
scissors, pencil, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Acrylic paints: red, black
- Plaid Mod Podge: Matte
- Spackling medium
- Wooden skewer
- Green floral tape
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1. On covered work surface, paint back of wreath black. Let dry. Position skewer flat on wreath. Push down firmly to make groove. Repeat. Continue making grooves around wreath 1/2” apart along inner edge and 3/4” apart around outer edge.
- 2. For apples, use pencil to make holes at top and bottom of each 2” ball. Gently roll bottom half of ball firmly against tabletop, compressing shape so it tapers into apple shape. Insert pencil into top hole making hole deeper and roll pencil around edges to make top of hole wider than bottom. Use fingertips to press edge of top edges of hole into smooth curve. At bottom of apple, press “x” groove into apple using side of pencil. Press edges of grooves with fingertips to smooth contours.
- 3. On covered work surface, coat apples with lightweight spackling medium using wide brush. Dip brush into water occasionally to smooth spackling. Let dry. Lightly sand apples using sandpaper.
- 4. Paint apples red. Let dry. Apply one coat Mod Podge on apples. Let dry.
- 5. For stem, cut 1-1/2” wire length into top of each apple. Cut leaf shape from green floral tape; twist leaf on stem.
- 6. Glue pencils and crayons into grooves using low-temp glue gun.
- 7. Remove skewers from apples and cut into 3” lengths. Reinsert skewer lengths into holes on apples and spot glue to secure. Insert skewers into wreaths.
- 8. Tie school-print ribbon bow. Glue bow on wreath.
- 9. Decorate wreath with measuring-tape ribbon and other school-related scrapbook items.
- 10. To hang, loop and glue ribbon length on back of wreath.
by Kathleen George for Dow Chemical Company