Roly Poly Owl
size: 6" tall
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Ball, 5-1/2”
- Grapevine wreath, 6”
- Papers: black, ledger pad
- Chipboard circles, 1”, two
- Black buttons, 3/4”, two
- Orange gems, two
paper trimmer, scissors, ruler, pencil, newspapers, 1” wash paintbrush
- Punches: Fiskars Threading Water Border, 1-1/4” circle, 2-1/2” scalloped oval, 1” starburst, corner rounder
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Finishes: All-Purpose White Primer, Satin Meringue Paint
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads: Antique Linen, Old Paper, Tea Dye, Spiced Marmalade
- Adhesives: liquid glue, 1/8” double-sided tape, découpage medium
- 1. In well-ventilated area, spray wreath with primer; let dry. Spray paint wreath and foam ball; let dry.
- 2. Cut eight 1”x8” ledger paper strips. Border punch one long edge, then crumple and smooth strips. Ink surface Antique Linen and punched edge Tea Dye. Working from bottom up, découpage strips onto foam ball; let dry.
- 3. Tear second ledger sheet into 1” pieces. Crumple, ink Antique Linen, and découpage over rest of ball; let dry.
- 4. For eyes, cut two 1”x6” ledger strips. Accordion-fold strips and tape ends to create two rosettes. Glue to chipboard circles, weighting until dry. Punch two black circles and two ledger starbursts. Layer and glue circles, buttons, and gems to eyes; let dry.
- 5. Punch 22 ledger ovals. Crumple, smooth, and ink Old Paper. Working from bottom up, glue nine overlapping ovals to each side of body. Cut two ovals in half; glue two halves over top of each wing. Let dry.
- 6. For beak, cut a 2” ledger triangle; round corners. Crumple, smooth, and ink Spiced Marmalade.
- 7. Glue owl into wreath. Glue eyes and beak to body. Fold two ovals into ears; glue to head. Fluff “feathers.”
- 1. Insert a wooden skewer into the bottom of the foam ball before painting. Place skewer into tall drinking glass while paint dries.
by Beth Watson for Dow Chemical