Knit Drop-Stitch Lampshade Cover
Achieve this upscale design look easily while also adding a little color to your floor or table lamps. Creating rows of complementary colors using textured yarns is never easier when following this beginner knitting pattern.
- Bernat Sheep(ish) Yarn by Vickie Howell: Olive(ish) (00019), Chartreuse(ish) (00020), and Lime(ish) (00021)
- Buttons, four 1”
- Cylindrical lampshade, 9”
beg = beginning
BO = Bind Off
CO = chain on
k = knit
RS = Right Side
slip st = slip stitch
St st = Stockinette stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
tog = together
WS = Wrong Side
yo = yarn over
- Knitting needles, size 8: one pair
- Crochet hook, size H-8
- 1. Size is 9"x22"
- 1. If lampshade cover is taller, increase length stripes until desired length is achieved.
- 2. Note: Olive (A), Chartreuse (B), Lime (C).
- 1. In Stockinette st, 18 sts and 24 rows = 4”.
- 1. Body: With A, CO 86 sts. Knit 4 rows.
- 2. Set-up Row (RS): K11, yo, k2tog, k9, yo, [k2tog, k3, yo, k2tog, k4, yo] 4 times, k2tog, k9, yo, k2tog, k7. Purl 1 row.
- 3. Work in St st until piece measures 2” from beg, ending with WS row.
- 4. Next Row (RS): Change to B. Continue in St st until piece measures 5” from beg, ending with WS row.
- 5. Next Row (RS): Change to C. Continue in St st until piece measures 8-1/4” from beg, end with WS row.
- 6. Drop-stitch Row (RS): K11, drop 1 st, k10, drop 1 st, [k4, drop 1 st, k5, drop 1 st] 4 times, k10, drop 1 st, k8. Lightly tug on fabric around dropped stitches, so they’ll unravel to Set-up Row, creating ladder effect.
- 7. Purl 1 row. Knit 4 rows. BO all sts knitwise.
- 8. Side Band: With C, pick up and knit 26 sts along side edge of Body. Knit 4 rows. BO all sts knitwise. Repeat for opposite side edge.
- 9. Sew buttons on right-hand Side Band, first and last 1/2” from CO and BO edges, and remaining two evenly spaced between.
- 10. Button Loops (make 4): (Note: If needed, make Button Loops longer if cover needs to fit larger lampshade.) With right side facing and crochet hook, join C to Side Band, opposite first button, with slip st. Work 5” crochet chain (or twice as long as necessary to make Loop to hold buttoned piece firmly in place). Fold chain in half to create Loop; slip st into Side Band, next to where started.
- 1. To finish, use yarn needle to weave in ends.
by Vickie Howell for Spinrite Yarns