Apples & Quilts for Sale
size of finished design: 3-1/2"x5-1/4"; stitch count: 50 w x 75 h
- 14-count White Lugana
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Mini apple buttons, three
- Foam core board, 3/8” thick: five 5”x7” rectangles
- Mat board, 1”x25”
- Cotton print fabric: 2”x25”, 8”x10”
- The Warm Co. Warm & Natural Batting, two 5”x7” rectangles
- Cording trim, in complementary color
- Wire-edge ribbon, in complementary color
- Felt 9”x12” sheets: two brown, one tan, one black
Backstitch : 1 or 2 strands as indicated
Cross-stitch : 2 strands
- Repositionable double-sided framing tape
- Craft glue
- 1. Stitch design centered on fabric. Backstitch design using one or two strands floss as indicated.
- 2. On work surface, apply framing tape in “x” shape onto back of three foam core rectangles. Stack rectangles together, pressing firmly. Repeat process to tape remaining two foam core rectangles together.
- 3. Tape batting rectangles on top of two-taped foam core rectangles. Position rectangle with batting side face down on center of stitched design. Apply tape on back of foam core rectangles, bringing fabric up and pressing into tape. Trim excess fabric.
- 4. Repeat process to tape 8”x10” cotton print fabric rectangle onto three-taped foam core rectangles.
- 5. Apply tape onto back of cotton fabric rectangle and press stitched design rectangle on front, creating box.
- 6. Position mat board on work surface. Measure and cut mat board strip to wrap around box sides. Cut strip from mat board.
- 7. Trace mat board strip on cotton fabric, leaving 1/8” border. Cut out fabric. Apply tape onto mat board strip; position strip on cotton fabric with print side facing down. Bring fabric up and press into tape as before. Trim excess fabric. Apply tape onto wrong side of fabric-covered mat board strip. Press strip around box.
- 8. Use craft glue to glue trim around box edges. Tie ribbon bow; glue onto box top. Glue three apple buttons on design using photo as guide.
by Nancy Wahler for Faithwurks Designs