Yarn-Wrapped Autumn Wreath
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam wreath, 1-15/16”x15-11/16”x2-1/2”
- Yarn: moss green, bright orange, heather gray, natural hemp
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: Turquoise, Moss Green, Bright Orange
- Fairfield Soft Touch Poly-fil Supreme Fiberfill
- Wooden teardrop, 3”
- Wooden skewer
- Flat-backed acrylic stones, 10mm
- Artificial orange berry stems
scissors, paintbrush, foam brush, paper plate, sewing machine and thread
- Ellison Sizzix BigShot Die Cutting Machine and Dies: Bigz Dimensional Flower, Bird with Wing
- Rubber alphabet stamps, 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Georgia Clay, Snow White
- Black inkpad
- Aleene’s: Original Tacky Glue, Fabric Fusion
- 1. To begin wrapping wreath, cut six yards of yarn from skein. Pour tacky glue onto paper plate. Coat foam brush with glue and apply to 3” section of wreath on all sides. Wrap yarn around wreath several times to create 4”-wide color band. Repeat process for hemp, cutting two yards. Alternate color bands with 1”-wide hemp bands between, creating repeating pattern.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint skewer Georgia Clay and wooden teardrop Snow White. Let dry.
- 3. Die cut two birds from Turquoise felt. Layer birds together and machine sew around edges, leaving 2” opening at bottom of bird for stuffing. Stuff bird with fiberfill and machine sew closed.
- 4. Die cut several flowers from remaining Turquoise, Moss Green, and Bright Orange felt. Follow felt manufacturer’s instructions to form dimensional flowers, using skewer to wrap and fabric glue to adhere folds in place. Glue flat-backed stones on center of each flower using tacky glue.
- 5. Use alphabet stamps and black inkpad to stamp sentiment on white teardrop. Use tacky glue to adhere sentiment on bird. Insert ends of painted skewer into bottom third of wreath. Remove and place tacky glue on ends. Reinsert. Glue bird on front of skewer.
- 6. Use fabric glue to glue dimensional flowers on one side of wreath. Attach hanger of choice.
by Melony Bradley