Uncle Sam Clay Pot
- Clay pots, two 5”
- Loew-Cornell Woodsies wooden shapes: three small stars, two small rectangles, two medium teardrops, one small circle
- Wooden craft spoons, two
- Wooden split wren egg, 7/8”
- White star buttons, two
- Clear rhinestones, two 7mm
- Cotton or fiberfill, small amount
- American flag toothpick
- Red ribbon, 24” length
scissors, ruler, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Flesh Tone, Glorious Gold, Lamp Black, True Blue, True Red, White Wash
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: 3/4”, 1/2”, 1/4” shaders
- Sakura of America Identi-Pen Dual-Tip Permanent Marker: Black
- Red chalk
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- 1. On covered work surface, paint stars Glorious Gold, teardrops (mustache) and rectangles (eyebrows) White Wash, wren egg (nose) Flesh Tone, top 2” of craft spoons (arms) True Blue, and bottom of craft spoons (hands) Flesh Tone. Let dry. Paint 1/4” stripe (cuffs) between arms and hands White Wash. Let dry.
- 2. Use black marker to outline eyebrows, mustache, and arms. Add lines on hands for fingers.
- 3. Glue small circle over hole on one clay pot (head). Paint head White Wash, including inside. Let dry. Paint 3-1/2”x2” rectangle (face) on head Flesh Tone. Paint rim on head True Blue.
- 4. Glue nose on face. Apply red chalk on cheeks. Dip end of paintbrush into Lamp Black and dot eyes above nose. Glue small amount cotton on face (beard). Glue eyebrows and mustache on face. Glue stars along rim. Let dry.
- 5. Position remaining clay pot (body) upside down on work surface. Paint body White Wash. Let dry. Use pencil to draw line around center of body, 2-1/4” from top. Draw 1-1/4” rectangle on center of body (for shirt). Paint body True Blue, leaving shirt area unpainted. Draw 1/2” stripes around bottom of body. Paint True Red alternating stripes, leaving other stripes unpainted. Let dry.
- 6. Use black marker to outline stripes on body. Glue star buttons onto cuffs on each arm.
- 7. Glue head onto top of body. Let dry. Glue flag toothpick onto one hand. Glue arms onto sides of body. Glue rhinestones onto shirt.
- 8. Measure and cut 24” red ribbon length. Wrap ribbon around neck; tie into bow.
by Linda Valentino