Friends & Family Table Runner
- Fabric: 12”x36” muslin; 12”x36” backing fabric; two 12”x6” print strips; two 5” coordinating-print squares
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Alizarin Crimson, Cherry Red, Cranberry Wine, Buttermilk, Hauser Lt. Green, Hauser Med. Green, Citron Green
- Buttons, six
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: #725 or color of choice
scissors, straight pins, ruler, pencil, iron, tape
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes, 1/2”: #2 liner, #4 shader
- Pinking shears
- Needle and thread
- 1. Print out patterns. Trim edges of hearts with pinking shears. Wash fabric pieces in machine without softener; dry. Iron pieces and seams along sides on print fabric pieces. Pin pieces onto muslin. Pin stripes onto front section of muslin, 6” from edges. See photo.
- 2. Tape patterns onto back of muslin and lightly trace outline of patterns. Refer to photo for placement.
- 3. Basecoat lettering Hauser Lt. Green; shade Hauser Med. Green; highlight Citron Green. Add Alizarin Crimson highlight dots. Use #2 liner to add curl lines.
- 4. Basecoat hearts Alizarin Crimson; shade Cranberry Wine; highlight Cherry Red. Add Alizarin Crimson highlight dots around edges. Use #2 liner to add smaller Buttermilk dots.
- 5. Use #2 liner to paint center lines Metallic Inca Gold and #4 liner for Metallic Inca Gold circles. Highlight dot on lines Buttermilk.
- 6. Let paint dry.
- 7. Pin fabric hearts on center of painted hearts. Use needle and thread (or sewing machine) to sew fabric hearts on hearts.
- 8. Turn fabric right sides together; sew closed, leaving opening to turn right side out. Sew opening closed. Center three buttons on print fabric strips; sew buttons on runner through fabric.
by Cheryl Nuccio