Whee!! Bicycle Ride Picnic Basket
- Wooden picnic basket with lid
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Teal, Bleached Sand, Blue Harbor, Boysenberry Pink, Butter, Camel, Cocoa, Deep Periwinkle, Desert Turquoise, Dove Grey, Flesh Tone, French Vanilla, Graphite, Grey Sky, Indian Turquoise, Lemon Yellow, Milk Chocolate, Mustard Seed, Petal Pink, Sea Aqua, Slate Grey, Spa Blue, Titanium White
ruler, stylus, sandpaper, tracing paper, graphite paper, old toothbrush for spattering, old brush, newspaper
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7350 Liner 10/0; Golden Taklon Series 7300 Shader #4; Series 8400 Angular Shader 1/8”, 1/4” 3/8”; Series 7000 Round #0, 1, 2, 3; Series 410 Deerfoot Stippler 3/8”
- DecoArt: Acrylic Gesso; Brush n’ Blend
- Black fine-tip pen
- 1. Sand the lid. Remove dust. On covered work surface, apply gesso. Sand lightly. Repeat until opaque.
- 2. Print out pattern. Apply basic pattern onto lid. Add details as needed.
- 3. Use wet, large-area brush to apply Brush ‘n Blend onto sky area. Use dirty brush to apply Titanium White to entire lid. Pick up Spa Blue on brush and quickly streak across sky area. Apply slightly more Spa Blue to upper corners to deepen. Do not overblend; leave streaks of blue showing. Dry thoroughly. Load toe of dry deerfoot stippler with small amount Titanium White. Tap on palette several times, then lightly tap in clouds. Use dirty brush to drybrush bottom of clouds to soften.
- 4. Apply Brush ‘n Blend onto ground area. Use dirty brush to pick up small amount of Dove Grey and quickly stroke across ground horizontally, leaving streaks showing. Thin Slate Grey to heavy cream consistency; load onto stiff brush and lightly spatter ground. (Note: Protect sky area with sheet of paper.)
- 5. Transfer gross outlines of patterns. Make tracing of pattern details. Set aside.
- 6. Use thinned Indian Turquoise to wash bike frame. Use Desert Turquoise to float shading on bike frame. Use Spa Blue to drybrush highlights. Use thinned Indian Turquoise and Titanium White to paint details. Use Grey Sky to paint chrome areas of bike. Use Titanium White to drybrush highlights. Use thinned Graphite to wash pedals. Use graphite to float shading. Use Boysenberry Pink to paint handlebar grips. Use liner and Boysenberry Pink to paint streamers from handlebar ends. Use dirty brush and touch of Titanium White to highlight streamers. Use stylus and Grey Sky to dot chain. Use Graphite to base tires and Slate Grey to drybrush first highlight. Use touch of Grey Sky to enhance highlight in center of tires. Use Titanium White to paint whitewalls. Use ruler and the black pen to draw spokes. Use thinned Graphite to wash seat. Use Graphite to float shading and touch of Titanium White to drybrush highlight on seat. Use thinned Camel to wash basket. Use Cocoa to float shading and French Vanilla to float highlights. Use thinned Cocoa to paint basket weave detail. Double-load #1 round with Butter + touch Camel to paint rim. Use Milk Chocolate to base puppy. Use Milk Chocolate + French Vanilla (1:1) to float highlights. Use touch of Boysenberry Pink to paint inside of ear. Use Blue Harbor to base collar and touch of French Vanilla to drybrush highlight. Use black pen to add facial details. Use Titanium White to add tiny dot in eye.
- 7. Use thinned Flesh Tone and wash skin areas. Use Flesh Tone to float shading and Titanium White to float highlights. Use black pen to draw eye. Use Boysenberry Pink to base to stroke lips. Use dirty brush and touch of Titanium White to highlight lips. Use Camel to base hair. Use dirty brush and touch of Cocoa to drybrush shading. Use liner and thinned French Vanilla to add hair details. Use Blue Harbor + Titanium White (1:1) to base hat. Use Blue Harbor to float shading. Use thinned Boysenberry to wash brim and pompom. Use Titanium White to drybrush highlights. Use Titanium White to base shirt. Repeat until opaque. Use sheer Blue Harbor + Titanium White (1:1) to float shading. Use Blue Harbor to add shirt details. Use Sea Aqua to base pants. Use sheer Antique Teal to float shading. Use Titanium White to drybrush highlights. Use Blue Harbor + Titanium White (1:1) to base belt. Use Titanium White to drybrush highlight. Paint loops in Sea Aqua. Use Boysenberry Pink to base shoes. Use Titanium White to drybrush highlights.
- 8. Transfer lettering and flowers. (Note: While painting each step of flowers and leaves, paint scattered leaves and petals along lettering.) Use thinned Antique Teal to paint flower stems. Use dirty brush and touch of Titanium White to highlight stems. Use 1/8” angular shader double-loaded in Antique Teal + Titanium White to stroke leaves. Beginning at base of lavender stems, use liner brush and Deep Periwinkle to stroke tiny petals on stems making petals smaller toward tips. Use dirty brush and Titanium White to over-stroke some petals. Use #0 round and Petal Pink to paint small circles for roses. Use dirty brush and Titanium White to make “C” stroke in center of wet circles. Add touch of Titanium White to highlight. Use #0 round and Mustard Seed to paint daisy centers. Use Cocoa to float shading and French Vanilla to float highlights on centers. Use #1 round and Titanium White to stroke daisy petals. Use liner and Mustard Seed to paint bow. Use dirty brush and Lemon Yellow to highlight bow.
- 9. Use the black pen to ink lettering. Use Blue Harbor to fill in wide areas.
- 10. Use Titanium White to drybrush motion lines behind bike and on top of spokes. Use sheer Graphite to paint shadows on ground behind tires.
- 11. Erase graphite lines. Allow ink to dry at least 30 minutes before spraying with matte sealer.
by Darlene Scott and Linda Hollander