Little Hands Quiet Book
- National Nonwovens: WoolFelt: 1/2 yd. Mediterranean Mist; small scraps: Black, Strawberry Dream, Teddy Bear Brown, Barnyard Red, Shocking Pink, Aged Bronze, White, Buttercup, Pea Soup, Moss, Pistachio Ice Cream
- Nonwoven WoolWisps: Coral Rose, Summer Squash
- Kreinik Mfg.: Black Chenille Thread; Black 3/8” Trim with Wire
- Polyform Sculpey Bake Shop Clay: Yellow, Black
- Yellow zipper, 5”
- Fabric, misc. scraps
- Buttons: six white, one brown
- Embroidery thread
- Coordinating-color thread
scissors, sewing machine, needle, thimble, rotary cutter and self-healing mat, sharp knife, rolling pin, toothpick
- Clear Stamps: Technique Tuesday Start Me Up Main Street
- Felting needle and foam block
- Light green tape
- Self-adhesive Velcro dots, five 1”
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut shapes from felt or fabric scraps.
- 2. For button shapes, remove clay from packages. Condition clay in hands until soft. Roll Yellow clay to 1/8” thickness and cut out three tulip shapes. Use toothpick to make holes, 1/8” apart, on tulips. For bumblebee, roll log and form into body shape. For bumblebee wings, roll two black balls; flatten and press on sides of body. Roll 2” yellow log and press into flat shape (honeycomb). Use textured fabric or chain to press indentations into honeycomb. Remove fabric or chain. Use toothpicks to poke two holes on each clay item. Position on parchment-lined baking sheet and follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake in oven. Let cool.
- 3. For book pages, cut four 7-1/2”x18” Mediterranean Mist rectangles. Position four rectangles on work surface. Using photo as guide, assemble pages as shown. Sew items onto pages before assembling book together.
- 4. For front page, glue “Shh..” and flower pot on right side of page. Zigzag stitch bias tape flower stems. Stitch yellow clay tulip buttons on top of stems.
- 5. For second page, zigzag stitch ice cream cone sideways on left side of page. Stitch dark brown strips across cone. Zigzag stitch pink fabric scraps onto pink felt. Zigzag stitch mint scrap fabric on green felt. Zigzag stitch polka dot scrap onto other pink felt ice cream scoop. Apply self-adhesive Velcro dots on back of ice cream scoops. Apply other Velcro dots on page, spacing so they stack evenly. Set page aside.
- 6. For third page, straight stitch black door down left edge, centering door on house. Stamp center of windows with Clear Stamps using 1, 2, and 3. Stitch top of each window to each house. Glue shutters on either side of each window and small felt shapes behind each door. Zigzag stitch puffy cloud on upper left side of page. Glue mountains and hills on bottom left side of page. Using felting needle and foam block, needle felt Coral Rose and Summer Squash felt wisps in shape of rising sun. Zigzag stitch houses next to one another on right side of page. Set page aside.
- 7. For fourth page, sew zipper on back center of caterpillar. Carefully cut zipper opening from front. Zigzag stitch eye on caterpillar. Zigzag stitch caterpillar on page. Zigzag stitch Black Chenille Thread in wavy pattern beneath caterpillar body. Zigzag stitch tree branch on right side of page. Hand stitch brown button, clay bumble bee button, and clay honeycomb button on tree branch. For leaf, satin stitch green felt scrap on top of moss felt leaf. Roll leaf edges together, creating loop, and stitch. Glue rolled leaf on end of moss leaf, hooking loop over brown button. Blanket stitch butterfly wing centers on butterfly wings. Zigzag stitch 6” Black wire thread on center of butterfly body.
- 8. To assemble, layer pages in order, lining up edges. Straight stitch down center of book, creating spine. Beginning with cover, pin front and back pages together. Blanket stitch around edge of each page. Trim ends.
by April Moffatt