- Recycled or reusable plastic food container (with lid)
- Wooden square, 1/16” thick, 5”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Sapphire Blue, Titanium White, Lamp Black, Santa Red, Dark Chocolate, Toffee, Napa Red, True Blue, Slate Grey
- Ribbon, 8” length
palette paper, transfer paper, tracing paper, stylus, sandpaper
- Royal & Langnickel Aqualon Paintbrushes: Series 2700 Glaze/Wash: 1/2”, 1”; Series 2595 Liner #1; Series 2150 Shader #4; Series 2160 Angular: 1/4”, 1/2”; Series 1111 Stencil 1/4”
- Scroll saw and drill with 1/16” bit
- Star stencil
- DecoArt Americana: Wood Sealer; Matte Varnish
- Removable tape
- Stencil adhesive spray
- 1. Wash and dry container. Sand outside areas of container. Wipe clean. Apply sealer and let dry. Drill holes, evenly spaced, on wooden square. Sand and seal wooden square.
- 2. Print out patterns. Transfer pattern onto wooden square. (Note: The wood ornament pattern fits center raised area of this particular plastic container. Pattern might need to be altered to fit ornament shape on your container. Refer to photo throughout for painting.) Transfer pattern details as needed.
- 3. Basecoat prepped areas of plastic container and wood piece Sapphire Blue. Lightly transfer main pattern lines for ornament (do not transfer the flag pole or knob at top until later).
- 4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply stencil adhesive on back of star stencils. Stencil stars on top and sides of container as shown with Titanium White. Dot areas with Titanium White. (Note: If star stencils are unavailable, transfer star patterns on top and sides of container as desired. Basecoat stars Titanium White.)
- 5. Basecoat bear mix of (Dark Chocolate + Titanium White) to medium-brown color. Basecoat red stripes on flag Santa Red and white stripes on flag Titanium White.
- 6. Lightly shade white stripes and back of ‘curl’ in flag Toffee and red stripes Napa Red. Shade blue outside edge of ornament True Blue. Lightly transfer bear details. Basecoat bear’s nose Lamp Black. Shade ears, separations between the ears and head, arm and face, hand, arm, and along lower portion of face Dark Chocolate.
- 7. Dot eyes Lamp Black. Gently drag dot downward to create elongated shape. Repeat for other eye. Use Lamp Black to line eyebrows, mouth, dot cheeks, and apply dot for mouth. Highlight nose, dot eyes, apply stars on flag, and write lettering Titanium White.
- 8. Paint flag pole Dark Chocolate. Dot top of flag pole Slate Grey.
- 9. If desired, apply fireworks design on back of ornament using Titanium White.
- 10. To finish, apply one coat matte varnish. Let dry. Thread ribbon ends through holes on ornament; knot on back. Attach ornament on center of container using removable tape.
- 1. This design is meant to be fun and easy! If pressed for time, simply paint center area of container with bear design.
by Lorette Mateik