Better Backgrounds: Alcohol Impressions
- Cardstock: natural; currant; espresso
- Inkssentials White Gloss Paper (Ranger)
- Stamps: Oriental Plane, Magnolia and Lil’ Magnolia (Fred B. Mullet); Roann Mathias Thoughts, Mystery (The Stamping Studio)
- Adirondack Espresso Dye Ink Pad (Ranger)
- Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks (Ranger): Salmon; Aqua; Currant; Lemonade; Peach Bellini; Butterscotch
- Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Ink line: Applicator; Blending Solution; Fillable Pen
- Inkssentials Cut ‘n Dry Foam Pad (Ranger)
- Cleansit All-Purpose Cleaner (Ranger)
- General Instructions
- 1. For first layer of color, apply alcohol inks to gloss paper with applicator, using a twisting motion.
- 2. Create a “stamp pad” by applying blending solution to foam pad. Apply alcohol ink to red rubber stamp using fillable pen. Lightly pounce stamp onto prepared foam pad. Stamp gloss paper.
- 3. You may pounce onto blending solution-filled pad and stamp two to three additional times for wonderful partial images without reapplying alcohol ink to rubber.
- 4. Immediately clean stamp with conditioning cleaner. Designer Tip: Do not mist inked stamps with Alcohol Ink Blending Solution, as in similar techniques; this blending solution contains a resin and should never be sprayed.
- 5. Use background as is, or overstamp with dye ink. Assemble card.
- Mystery Card
- 1. Cut papers as follows: 3-1/2”x5-1/4” gloss paper; 3-3/4”x5-1/2” natural; 6-1/4”x9” espresso. Score and fold largest piece to create 4-1/2”x6-1/4” side-fold card.
- 2. Refer to general instructions to apply Lemonade and Peach Bellini inks to background, creating very subtle color variation.
- 3. Overstamp background with Butterscotch leaves (Magnolia, Lil’ Magnolia), creating stamp pad as indicated in Step 2 under General Instructions.
- 4. Overstamp again with Espresso sentiment and smaller leaf.
- Falling Leaves Card
- 1. Cut papers as follows: 2-1/2”x7-1/2” gloss paper; 2-3/4”x7-3/4” natural; 7-1/4”x8-5/8” currant. Score and fold largest piece to create 3-5/8”x8-5/8” side-fold card. (see photos)
- 2. Refer to general instructions to apply Salmon and Aqua inks to background, creating marbled background.
- 3. Overstamp background with Currant leaves (Oriental Plane), creating stamp pad as indicated in Step 2 under General Instructions.
by Lynn Roberts