Something Special Card
- Olive (A2) folded card
- Cardstock: red; gold metallic
- White watercolor paper
- Coordinating threads/cords/ribbons
- Stamps (Penny Black Rubber Stamps): Mixed Media (4037K); Poppy Poem (4036K)
- VersaFine Onyx Black pigment ink pad (Tsukineko)
- Water-based markers (Tombow)
- Clear embossing powder
- Stargazers Mica Watercolor Palette (US ArtQuest)
- Heat tool
- Palette knife
- Detail paintbrush
- Studio Paper waxed palette (US ArtQuest) or non-stick craft sheet
- Adhesives (US ArtQuest): Gloss Perfect Paper Adhesive (PPA); Great Tape
- 1. To create butterfly, stamp and emboss Poppy Poem image onto watercolor paper. Using photo as a guide, color image and background with markers, using water and detail brush to spread color. Use Stargazer palette to add sparkling highlights to image. Let dry completely.
- 2. Apply very thin coat of PPA to entire image; let dry. Trace or draw a butterfly shape onto paper, centering poppy in pleasing manner. Cut out shape. Note: Butterfly die may also be used.
- 3. Place butterfly onto waxed palette or non-stick craft sheet and apply a thicker layer of PPA using a palette knife. For a very enameled look, add multiple layers of PPA. Let butterfly dry completely before peeling image away from palette. Trim away excess adhesive; adhesive will continue to “cure" but image will remain flexible. Set aside butterfly.
- 4. Stamp Mixed Media image twice onto watercolor paper. Trim one image into a 3-1/4” square. Mat on red cardstock, then gold. Adhere panel to left side of card.
- 5. Color second Mixed Media image in same way as butterfly; see Step 1. Trim image as shown in photo and adhere over stamped square on card, aligning images.
- 6. Tie fibers around right side of card. Use Great Tape to adhere butterfly over fibers.
by Frankie Fioretti for Penny Black Rubber Stamps