Exploring Image Transfers: Transparencies
- Fabrics: natural canvas placemat, white leaf-print cotton
- Black cardstock
- Inkjet transparency sheets
- Digital image(s)
- Black webbing (see instructions)
- Silk flower
- Sheer black wire-edged ribbon
paper trimmer, scissors, ruler, foam paintbrush, spoon, craft sticks, straight pins
- Computer and inkjet printer
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Ranger Inkssentials non-stick craft sheet
- Ranger Claudine Hellmuth Studio mediums: Multi Medium Gloss, Extra Time Slow-Dry Medium
- Precision-Blue LLC Preserve Your Memories II spray protectant
- Double-sided tape
- 1. Print image onto inkjet transparency. Cut out, leaving narrow border.
- 2. Mix gloss and slow-dry mediums on craft sheet at a 1:1 ratio. Apply mixture to fabric, or cardstock, with a foam brush.
- 3. Immediately place image facedown on prepared surface and burnish with finger or spoon, moving in a circular motion. Carefully lift transparency edge to check transfer. Apply additional pressure as needed.
- 1. To determine amount of webbing needed, measure length of placemat and add 14” for handle loop. Double this total and add 1-1/2” for overlap. For example, for a 20”-long placemat: (20” + 14”) x 2 + 1-1/2” = 69-1/2”.
- 2. Pin webbing 3” from outer edges of placemat in one continuous piece, allowing a loop at each end for handles; overlap ends 1-1/2”. Machine-sew along both sides of webbing. To reinforce handles at top, sew a 1” square in webbing with an “X” at center.
- 3. Follow general directions to transfer flower image to center of one end of placemat. Spray both sides with protectant spray; let dry.
- 4. With right sides together, sew side seams. To create box bottom, pinch side seams at bottom of bag to form a right angle with the center seam line. Mark 1-1/2” from corner along each edge and sew across seam, connecting two marks to form a triangle. Turn tote right side out.
- 5. Sew flower and button to tote as shown.
- 1. Follow general directions to transfer flower image to 3-3/4”x5” piece of white leaf fabric.
- 2. Adhere fabric to 4-1/4”x5-1/2” black card. Tie ribbon bow and adhere to card.
by Lynn Roberts