Die-Cut Garden Pillows
sizes: 12"x16", 16" square
- Fairfield Home Elegance Pillow Inserts: 12”x16”, 16”x16”
- Fabric: 1/2 yd. blue/white ticking, 1/4 yd. white cotton muslin, scraps black/white print
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: 1/8 yd. Moss Green, 3”x12” strip Brown Sugar, scraps: Black, Blue
- Kreinik: Silver (001) Blending Filament; Black (005) #32 Heavy Braid
- Beadalon Nymo Beading Thread
- Faux pearl beads, 24
- Swarovski Elements CRYSTALLIZED 10mm flat-backed crystals
- Ribbon, 18” lengths: green sheer, burlap
scissors, iron, straight pins, measuring tape or ruler
- Ellison Sizzix BigShot Die-Cutting Machine and Dies: 3-D Flower, Serif Essentials, Swallow
- Rubber stamps: script, scroll, “dream” sentiment, botanicals of choice
- Jacquard Essentials PearlEx Pigment Stamp Pads: Black, Silver
- Beadalon Big Eye Beading Needle
- Needles: tapestry, embroidery, sewing
- The Warm Co. Lite Steam a Seam
- Aleene’s: Original Tacky Glue, Fabric Fusion
- Rectangular Pillow
- 1. Measure and cut 13”x17” and 10”x17” muslin rectangles. Measure and cut 4”x17” ticking fabric rectangle. Press and pin fabric rectangles together, using 1/2” seam allowance. Glue green ribbon between ticking and muslin rectangles, wrapping ends on back of rectangle.
- 2. Use script stamp and black inkpad to stamp front of 10”x17” muslin rectangle. Use iron to heat set ink on low setting.
- 3. Use machine and 3-D Flower die to cut three small and three large Moss Green felt flowers. Layer and glue petals together, creating dimensional flowers. Glue flowers, 2” apart, across muslin rectangle. Use tapestry needle and Black braid to stitch stems from flowers. Glue crystals on flower centers.
- 4. Position right sides of pillow together. Sew on seams, leaving bottom length open. Use iron to steam seams open. Turn pillow right side out. Insert pillow form. Use needle and sewing thread to sew bottom opening closed.
- Square Pillow
- 1. Measure and cut two 17”x17” blue ticking fabric squares.
- 2. Glue burlap ribbon across bottom third of fabric square, wrapping ends on back. Use machine and 3D Flower die to cut 12 small and 12 large Moss Green felt flowers.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse fusible webbing on brown, black, and blue felt and scraps of muslin and black/white print fabric. With paper backing right side up, use machine and Serif Essentials die to cut one initial from black felt. Use machine and Swallow die to cut bird from blue felt. Cut print fabric to 3”x3-1/2” rectangle and muslin to 2-1/2”x3” rectangle. Position rectangles together and fuse.
- 4. Use botanical stamp and silver inkpad to stamp background on muslin rectangle. Let dry. Use dream sentiment stamp and black inkpad to stamp “dream” on center. Use iron to heat set ink on low setting.
- 5. Position rectangles together on right side of pillow; use iron to fuse in place. Use embroidery needle and Silver blending filament to stitch around rectangles, initial, swallow, and brown strip (tree trunk).
- 6. Glue flowers on top of tree, creating round shape. Thread Big Eye needle with Nymo thread and sew pearls on center of each flower on tree.
- 7. Position right sides of pillow together. Sew three sides together, leaving bottom open. Use iron to steam seams open. Insert pillow form. Sew bottom opening closed.
by Melony Bradley