Dad is King of the Remote
- Fairfield Home Elegance Pillow Insert, 12”x16”
- Recycled jean pocket
- Fabrics: 1/2 yd. dark denim, 1/4 yd. red ticking, 4”x6-1/2” burlap, 1/8 yd. blue pin-striped
- Navy blue flat-backed button, 1/2”
- Acrylic flat-backed stones, six 8mm
- Light brown 7/8”-wide ribbon, 15” length
scissors, paintbrush, wax paper, pencil, iron and pressing cloth
- Jacquard Transfer Paper for Ink Jets
- Sewing machine
- Sewing needle and thread
- Alphabet stamps: 1”, 2”
- Computer with photo-editing software and printer
- DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paint: White
- Black inkpad
- The Warm Co. Lite Steam-a-Seam
- Aleene’s Liquid Fusion
- 1. Cut 13”x17” and 9”x7” denim fabric rectangles and 9”x7” red ticking fabric rectangle. Position red ticking rectangle and denim fabric rectangle side-by-side; press and pin seams. Machine sew seams together, with 1/2” seam allowance, to create pillow front. Sew jean pocket on left side of pillow. Sew ribbon on center of pillow using zigzag stitch in center of ribbon.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse blue pin-stripe rectangle and burlap fabric rectangle on fusible webbing. Fuse 5” denim fabric square on webbing.
- 3. Using computer with photo-editing software, resize if needed and change photo of choice to black and white. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to print image on transfer paper. Using iron and pressing surface, follow manufacturer’s instructions to transfer photo onto blue pin-striped fused fabric. Cut transfer out around edges of photo, leaving 1/8” border on fabric. Position waxed paper on top of photo and fuse photo on pillow using iron on low heat setting.
- 4. Pull paper backing from fused burlap and gently pull threads from edges, creating frayed look. Fuse burlap onto pillow as shown. Cut remaining blue pin-striped fabric to 5-1/2”x3”. Use inkpad and 1” alphabet stamps to stamp sentiment on fabric. Heat set ink with iron on low setting. Fuse blue pin-striped rectangle centered on burlap. Use sewing machine to sew edges on photo with contrasting-color thread.
- 5. Use paintbrush and fabric paint to randomly brush paint on jean pocket. Let dry. Stamp “dad” using 2” alphabet stamps and ink. Heat set ink with iron on low setting.
- 6. Print out pattern. Transfer crown pattern onto fused denim fabric scrap. Cut out crown and fuse onto top of photo. Machine sew edges of crown to secure in place. Use glue to attach stones on crown. Hand sew button on burlap rectangle.
- 7. Position right sides of pillow together; machine sew around edges, leaving bottom open for turning. Press seams open and turn pillow right sides out. Insert pillow form. Hand sew bottom opening closed.
by Melony Bradley