Enjoy Life Tea Cozy
sizes: tea cozy, 9"x13"; design, 6-1/2"x5"; stitch count: 83 w x 54 h
- Wichelt Imports 32-count Antique White Linen (65101)
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Fabric, 1/2 yd., 60”-wide
- Fleece, 1/2 yd.
- Buttons, four 5/8”
- Coordinating-color piping, 3/8”-wide 7/8 yd.
- Coordinating-color pom-pom, 2”
Backstitch : 1 strand; letters 2 strands
Cross-stitch : 2 strands
French Knot : 1 strand (wrapped two times)
Half-stitch : 2 strands
Lazy Daisy : 2 strands
Quarter-stitch : 2 strands
scissors, ruler or measuring tape, pencil, tracing paper
- Needles: tapestry, sewing
- Sewing machine
- 1. Cross-stitch design centered on fabric.
- 2. Print out pattern. Adjust pattern size to fit teapot. Cut four pattern pieces from fabric and two pattern pieces from fleece. Baste one piece of fleece to wrong side of two pieces of fabric, creating front and back pieces of cozy.
- 3. (Designer note: All seam allowances are 1/2”.) With raw edges aligned, baste then stitch piping onto right side of front piece along curved edge. With right sides facing and piping towards center, stitch front piece to back piece along piping line, leaving straight edge open. Trim seam allowance, clip curves, and turn inside out.
- 4. For cozy lining, sew remaining two fabric pieces together, with right sides facing and raw edges even. Leave straight edge open and opening on curved edge for turning. Clip curves.
- 5. With right sides facing, insert lining over cover piece, matching seams. Sew around bottom straight edge of cover. Trim seams. Turn through opening in lining. Sew opening closed.
- 6. Trim finished cross-stitch piece with 1-1/4” borders. Turn under 1/2” and press. Center cross-stitch piece on front of cozy cover. Sew button onto each corner. Sew pom-pom onto top of cozy.
by Vicki Fisher