Whimsical Clay Butterfly
- Polyform Pluffy Clay: Yellow, Aqua, Hot Pink
- Gold plastic-coated wire, 6” length of 20-gauge
scissors, ruler, toothpicks
- Butterfly cookie cutters: 3-1/4”x2-3/4”, 4-1/4”x3-1/2”
- Polyform Sculpey Texture Maker: Swirls
- Polyform Premo Mini Cutters: Teardrop
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or acrylic roller
- Old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 2. Roll Hot Pink Clay to 1/4” thickness. Press texture sheet on clay; remove sheet. Use largest butterfly cookie cutter to cut shape from textured clay.
- 3. Roll Yellow clay to 1/4” thickness. Use smaller butterfly cookie cutter to cut shape from clay. Center smaller butterfly on textured Hot Pink butterfly.
- 4. Roll 1” Hot Pink and 1” Aqua clay balls. Roll balls into log shapes. Twist logs around one another, creating body and head shape. Press body on center of butterfly.
- 5. Roll August clay to 1/4” thickness. Use teardrop cutters to cut shapes from clay. Press teardrop shapes on butterfly, matching designs on each wing.
- 6. Use toothpick to poke hole through head (for wire to pass through).
- 7. Adults, help kids when using oven. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake butterfly on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 8. Cut 6” gold wire length. Insert wire length through hole on head. Cross wire ends over one another. Curl ends.
by Karen Prince