Pretty Hanging Butterflies
- Polyform Sculpey Clay: Black; Liquid Sculpey
- Wire, 3/4” length
- Fishing line, 8” length
aluminum foil, toothpicks
- Polyform Sculpey Gloss Glaze
- Oil paints
- Glass square
- Small plastic squirt bottles
- Clay extruder
- Acrylic brayer or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- 1. Print out patterns. Place pattern under glass square.
- 2. On clean work surface, condition clay by rolling in hands until soft and pliable. Condition 1/4 block Black clay. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to use clay extruder to extrude two 6-1/2”-long Black clay logs (wings). Position Black logs on glass; following outline of wing pattern.
- 3. In plastic squirt bottles, mix small amount Liquid Sculpey and drops of oil paint. Mix until vibrant color is achieved. Use squirt bottle to fill in area, inside black outline, on wings.
- 4. Use toothpick to pull colors, creating marbled effect.
- 5. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake wings on glass square in oven. Let cool. Remove from glass.
- 6. Roll 1/2” Black clay log (body). Form head on end of log. Roll tiny Black balls; form into antennae and attach on head.
- 7. Cut 3/4” wire length; bend into “u” shape and apply Liquid Sculpey on ends. Press wire length into back of body.
- 8. Apply Liquid Sculpey onto straight edge of wings; press wings on body. Roll two small logs from aluminum foil; position logs under wings for support. (Logs will be removed later.)
- 9. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake butterfly on glass square in oven. Let cool.
- 10. To hang, cut fishing line and thread through wire loop.
by Phoebe Doehring for Polyform Products