Bird Shadowbox Canvas
- Pre-stretched canvas, 16”x20”
- Cosmo Cricket Earth Love: Papers: one each: Reuse, Recycle, Rethink, Remember; two Repeat; Nutmeg Paper: two Maple
- Cosmo Cricket Earth Love: Ready Set Chipboard 12”: bird, two mushrooms, snail, two swirls, small butterfly
- Medium jewelry box, 3-1/2”x3-1/2”
- Buttons: five ivory, one peach
- Adhesive-backed rhinestones, 4mm: 11 clear, three black
- Natural twine, 12” length
1” flat paintbrush, scissors, ruler, pencil, newspaper, paper plate for palette, paper towel, craft knife, duct tape
- Fiskars: 3” Shape Template Circle, Fingertip Detail Knife
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Spa Blue, Hauser Lt. Green, Buttermilk, Burnt Umber
- DecoArt: Americana Drying Time Extender, Matte Spray Sealer
- Ranger Tim Holtz: Distress Stickles Vintage Photo, Rock Candy; Distress Ink: Tea Dye
- Ranger Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi-Medium Matte
- Therm O Web Adhesives: 3-D Foam Squares, 1/4” Super Tape
- 1. On paper plate, squeeze 2” puddle of Spa Blue paint and Drying Time Extender and 1” puddle of Buttermilk and Hauser Lt. Green. Use 1” flat to paint entire canvas with mixture of Spa Blue/Drying Time Extender. Rinse brush. Dip brush in Buttermilk; blend into Spa Blue background, using more Drying Time Extender if needed. Blend colors together using broad strokes. Repeat using Hauser Lt. Green and around edges with Burnt Umber. Repeat process painting inside of jewelry box (shadowbox). Let dry.
- 2. Tear 5-6 cloud shapes from Remember paper. With scissors, cut 15 leaves from peach side of Reuse paper and 15 leaves from green side of Recycle paper. Cut 2”x16” strip from green side of Rethink paper. Cut six 1”x12” strips from striped side of Repeat paper.
- 3. Print out pattern. Cut tree from wood grain print on Maple paper. Crumple pieces in hand; flatten on work surface. Ink surface of all pieces with Tea Dye Ink. Let dry. Fringe length of Rethink paper strip.
- 4. Using Multi-Medium Matte, glue tree and clouds on canvas; let dry. Position 3” template circle on canvas between center and right branch of tree. Lightly outline circle with pencil. Glue seven peach leaves and nine green leaves on canvas. Glue Repeat strips on all four edges of canvas with Multi-Medium Matte; let dry.
- 5. To build scene in shadow box, press one layer of foam squares on back of one green leaf; press on inside of shadowbox. Press three layers of foam squares on second green leaf and five layers of foam squares on third green leaf; press leaves inside shadowbox. Press eight layers of foam squares onto back of peach chipboard Bird; press bird inside shadowbox. Using detail knife, carefully cut circle from canvas. Position shadowbox behind canvas and secure with duct tape. Press leaves around circle opening.
- 6. Thread buttons onto twine; tie knot and trim ends. Use Super Tape to attach buttons onto canvas. Attach clear rhinestones onto two chipboard swirls; use foam tape to attach onto canvas. Use foam tape to attach fringed grass strip along bottom edge of canvas, snail onto tree trunk, and two mushrooms and small butterfly onto canvas. Press two black rhinestones (eyes) on snail and one black rhinestone (eye) on bird. Use Vintage Photo Distress Stickles to accent tree trunk, grass, and leaves. Use Rock Candy Distress Stickles to accent all chipboard pieces. Let dry.
- 1. To tie buttons with twine, thread all buttons onto length of twine, slide first button down to open end and tie off. Slide next button down and tie off, leaving 1” between buttons. Repeat for all buttons. Trim ends. This will give room to tie knots without wasting twine.
by Beth Watson