Easter Chick Centerpiece
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: one 1/2”x12”x36” sheet, one 12” Wreath Ring
- Polyform Sculpey Pluffy Clay: Orange, Black, White, Pink, Blue, Purple, Yellow
- Yellow feathers
- Easter grass, small amount
- Paper plate, 9”
scissors, ruler, pencil, paintbrushes, craft knife, toothpicks, marker (light color), newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Paints: Bright Yellow, Purple Cow, Baby Blue, Hauser Light Green; Glamour Dust Glitter Paints: Limelight, Lemon Drop, Purple Passion
- Small flower cookie cutter, 1/2”
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- 1. Print out pattern. Use craft knife to cut egg pattern from foam sheet.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint egg Bright Yellow. Let dry. Paint egg Lemon Drop Glitter. Paint eggshell Purple Cow. Let dry. Paint eggshell Purple Passion Glitter. Let dry. Paint swirls on eggshell Baby Blue. Let dry. Paint wreath (nest) Hauser Light Green. Let dry. Paint nest Limelight Glitter. Let dry.
- 3. Glue eggshell on front of egg. Insert toothpicks into glue and then into bottom of pieces. Let dry.
- 4. On clean work surface, condition clay. From clay, roll: two 1” Pink circles (cheeks), two 1/4” White balls (cheek highlights), two 1/2” Blue circles and two 1/4” White circles (eyes), two tiny Black circles (pupils), two 1” Black circles (eyelashes). Layer and press eye shapes on eyes. Flatten eyelash circles; use toothpick to separate into lashes.
- 5. Roll Purple clay into 1/4”-thick sheet. Use flower cookie cutter to cut shapes from Purple clay. Repeat process using Blue clay. Roll tiny Yellow clay balls; press onto flower centers.
- 6. From Orange clay, roll 2” cone shape (beak) and two 3”-long logs (feet). Use toothpick to cut beak in half. Form beak into smile. Roll feet ends into points and form into “v” shapes.
- 7. Position all clay items on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake items in oven. Let cool.
- 8. Glue wreath onto paper plate. Fill nest with Easter grass.
- 9. Glue feather on either side of body and onto top of head. Glue eyes, beak, and feet onto body.
- 10. Glue chick on edge of nest. Glue clay flowers around nest.
by Sandy Rollinger