Mandala Beaded Necklace
- Wooden disk with hole drilled in top, 2”
- Assorted green beads in all shapes, sizes, and styles
- Darice Tiger Tail Nylon Coated Jewelry Wire
- Silver findings: jump ring, 10mm; small crimp beads, 2mm, six; antique decorative toggle fastener
bead tray, container of water, cloth, fine sandpaper, chopstick with round flat end, palette, ruler, pencil, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Traditions Paintbrushes: Flat #12, Round #3
- Stylus and micro-stylus
- Wire cutters
- Jewelry pliers: round-nose, flat-nose
- DecoArt Acrylic Paints: Americana Colonial Green, Hauser Medium Green, Limeade; Dazzling Metallic Olive Pearl; DuraClear Satin Varnish; Multi-Purpose Sealer
- 1. Create this necklace at your preferred length. Wrap tape measure around back of neck to measure ideal length, then add 3” to measurement.
- 1. Lightly sand wooden disk; wipe with cloth. Seal disc with multi-purpose sealer using flat. Let dry.
- 2. Refer to photo as guide throughout to paint disc. Paint large center dot on disk Medium Hauser Green using chopstick end. Paint circle of seven same-size dots around center dot, 1/2" away from center.
- 3. Paint ring of dots between large center dot and large dot circle Colonial Green using round. Paint second ring of same dots between outer dots of large circle on outside as shown. Let dry thoroughly. (Note: Paint dots can be deceiving and appear dry when they are not.)
- 4. At innermost Colonial Green ring, paint tiny Limeade dots in-between circles using micro-stylus. Add larger Limeade dots on the circles of this ring also. Paint Limeade graduated-size dot “coronas” around outside of large Medium Hauser Green dot circle.
- 5. Paint Hauser Medium Green graduated-size dot “coronas” around outside of outermost medium Colonial Green dot circle using stylus.
- 6. Add triangular groups of three micro-stylus dots outside outermost arcs of design. Paint Limeade dots outside Medium Hauser Green arcs and Colonial Green dots outside Limeade arcs. Let dry.
- 7. Finish painting by adding Olive Pearl dots on top of all Hauser Medium Green large dots using round. Let dry.
- 8. Apply two coats of varnish to disk using flat.
- 9. Cut three 27" wire lengths. Crimp one end of each length to one side of toggle fastener using crimp beads, leaving at least 1” tail to tuck up into beads when crimping.
- 10. Thread beads on wires randomly. Mix all types of beads, alternating size, shape, color, and composition.
- 11. Carefully braid beaded strands together, being careful not to allow beads to fall off wire.
- 12. Crimp open ends of braided strands to remaining half of toggle clasp as in Step 9. Attach wooden mandala to clasp loop using jump ring.
- 1. To make dots, dip chosen tool (stylus, brush, chopstick, etc.) into paint. If dots are to be same size, dip again after each painted dot. If dots are to become gradually smaller, paint up to five dots before re-dipping.
by Debbie von Grabler-Crozier