Nautical Fused Glass Necklace
size: 20" with 2” dangle
- Diamond Tech Fuseworks Polar Fuse Fun Colors Glass Casting Medium
- Assorted blue seed beads
- Silver jewelry findings: jump rings, 9mm, six; crimp end caps, two; clasp of choice
- Silver cable chain
- Clear jewelry wire
disposable cups, mixing spoon or spatula, ruler, distilled water, paper towels, microwave oven, freezer, tape
- Diamond Tech Fuseworks: Microwave Kiln, Hot Mitts, Kiln Paper, Polar Fuse Travel Glass Casting Mold
- Needle-nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- 1. Mix 1 tsp. turquoise glass casting medium with small amount of distilled water until mixture resembles wet sand. Pour mixture into ship wheel mold; even out. Tap mold to release air bubbles; blot away excess moisture with paper towel. Freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- 2. Remove kiln lid and place 2"x2" piece of kiln paper on base. Remove wheel from mold and immediately place in center of kiln paper. Allow to rest 20-30 minutes.
- 3. Microwave kiln following manufacturer’s instructions.
- 4. Remove kiln from microwave with mitts, placing on heat-resistant surface. Cool for at least 30 minutes with lid on. (Note: Removing lid during cooling may result in cracking. Glass remains hot for long time; handle carefully.)
- 5. Repeat Steps 1-4 to make anchor in light grey. Process next glass charm in time it takes previous piece to cool. Thaw next piece on kiln paper and slide onto base when cool.
- 6. Cut 8-1/2" and two 1" chain lengths. Cut two 20” jewelry wire lengths. Thread wire through first link of long chain length, leaving 10" tail at end. Tape tail in place if desired. Repeat with second chain and wire.
- 7. Thread seed bead onto wire and weave wire through opening two links from beginning point. Add another seed bead, alternating colors. Continue to weave and add beads along chain length until end. Tape wire in place. Repeat process with second chain and wire.
- 8. At next-to-last link, thread ends of wire through crimp end cap. Position cap in line with last link; crimp using pliers.
- 9. Open jump ring; thread through crimp cap and last link of chain. Join with one side of clasp; close jump ring to secure.
- 10. Repeat Steps 8-9 for other side of necklace.
- 11. When glass is completely cool, open jump ring and thread through wheel spokes and open end of beaded chain. Close jump ring to secure. Repeat on other side of wheel as shown.
- 12. Open jump ring. Thread through wheel spokes at bottom and short chain; close ring. Open jump ring. Thread through anchor and open end of short chain; close ring.
by Lauren DiSanza for Diamond Tech