Spiral Cone Clay Earrings
- Polyform Sculpey Soufflé Oven Bake Clay: Poppy Seed, Concrete, So 80s, Turnip
- Gold mica powder
- Small crystal accent beads of choice, two
- Silver findings: ear wires, two; headpins, two
- Silver jewelry wire, 20-gauge, 6” length
ruler, pencil, spray bottle of water, craft mat or wax paper
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Tools: Clay Conditioning Machine, Edgy Flexible Texture Sheet, Super Slicer, Acrylic Roller
- Jewelry pliers
- Wire cutters
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- 1. Polymer clay may stain. Work clay on craft mat, wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Start with clean hands and work surface. Clean hands between handling different clay colors.
- 1. Work clay with hands until soft and pliable. Run clay through conditioning machine for several passes on widest setting. Fold clay in half after each pass; insert folded side into rollers first.
- 2. Roll one-quarter bar of Poppy Seed clay into smooth sheet using conditioning machine on #1 setting. Spritz River Rock texture sheet from set with water; position on clay sheet. Press down firmly with hand or roller; remove sheet. See Photo 1. (see photos)
- 3. Cut curved shapes about 1” wide in textured clay using slicer flexible blade. See Photo 2. Form clay into cone over pencil end. Blend seam. Dab surface lightly with mica powder, leaving some black areas untouched in impressions. See Photo 3. Repeat to form second cone. (see photos)
- 4. Bake cones on parchment-lined baking sheet following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool completely.
- 5. Roll two 1/2” Turnip clay balls. Form into teardrop shapes; insert into cones. See Photo 4. Press together, reshaping ball at bottom if necessary. (see photos)
- 6. Add small pieces of So 80s and Concrete clay in random patterns on each ball.
- 7. Cut 3” wire length. Form loop at one end of wire; insert straight end up through center of earring beginning at bottom of ball. Repeat for second earring.
- 8. Bake earrings on parchment-lined baking sheet following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool completely.
- 9. Form loop from straight wire at top of each earring; attach earring wires.
- 10. Thread bead onto headpin; form loop at top of headpin and trim to 3/8”. Attach beaded component to loop at bottom of earring. Repeat for second earring.
by Patricia Kimle Designs for Polyform Products