Dove & Holly Branch Pillow
- Wool felt: red, 3/8 yd.; scraps: white; gold; avocado green; light brown
- Lime green pom-pom trim, 1-1/2 yds.
- Buttons: off-white, 3/8”; red, pink, and burgundy assorted, 3/8” to 3/4”, six
- Black bead, 6mm
- Pillow form, 12”
- Black pearl cotton, #8
- Sewing thread, red; white
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Fabric glue
- 1. For pillow front and back, cut two 13” squares from red felt.
- 2. Print and cut out pattern. Cut: bird body and two wings from white felt; two of each holly shape from green felt; one of upper area of each holly shape from gold felt; 1/4”x14” strip from brown felt, then into 2” and 12” pieces for branches.
- 3. Glue bird body and branches to front of one red felt square, using pattern as placement guide. Transfer legs under body. Blanket stitch around bird edges, over branches, and on legs. Blanket stitch over edges of wing shapes to join them. Lightly stuff wings before embroidery is complete.
- 4. Glue gold sections of holly to green sections. Blanket stitch over center edge of gold sections on leaves. Stack leaves together in pairs and blanket stitch around edges to join them, lightly stuffing before embroidery is complete.
- 5. Use basting stitch on wrong side to sew wing to bird and leaves to ends of branches. For eye, sew bead to top of off-white button. For berries, use white thread to sew red buttons together in pairs on branch.
- 6. Sew pom-pom trim around pillow front, 1/2” from edge, beginning and ending in bottom corner. With right sides together, sew pillow front to back along trim stitching, leaving 10” open at bottom for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn pillow right side out through opening. Insert pillow form into pillow. Hand sew opening closed.
- 1. Use small dab of glue under felt to attach appliqué pieces temporarily until they are embroidered. Use one strand of pearl cotton for all embroidery.
by Mary Ayres