Country Holly Basket Ornament
size: 2-3/4” tall
- Wool felt, scraps: lt. heather brown; olive green; dk. green
- White cardstock
- Assorted flat buttons, 7/16” to 1/2”: red, three; off-white, two
- Jute twine
- Red hemp cord
- Pine cones
- Brown ink pad
- Black pearl cotton, #8
- Off-white sewing thread
- Embroidery needle
- Hole punch, 1/8”
- Fabric glue
- Computer and printer or black fine-tip permanent marker
- 1. For basket, cut 2-1/2”x7-1/2” rectangle (side) and 2-3/4” circle (bottom) from brown wool felt.
- 2. For basket side, overlap short ends of rectangle 1/4” to make tub; sew running stitch close to edges to join.
- 3. Pin felt circle to bottom of basket side; sew running stitch close to edges.
- 4. Blanket stitch over piece of jute along top edge of basket, butting jute ends together at center back.
- 5. For handle, cut 8” just length. Use off-white thread to sew buttons over jute pieces, 1/2” from ends at top sides of basket.
- 6. Print and cut out pattern. Cut holly leaves from olive green felt and a second slightly larger set of holly leaves from dk. green felt. Place olive leaves on top of dark leaves; sew running stitch close to olive leaf edges to join. Sew center of leaves to center front of basket. For berries, use off-white thread to sew red buttons overlapping at center of leaves.
- 7. For tag, use computer to print or handwrite “jolly holly days” on cardstock; trim into tag shape and antique edges brown. Punch hole in tag. Thread red cord through hole and tie bow around basket handle.
- 8. Glue pine cones inside basket.
- 1. Use one strand of pearl cotton for all blanket and running stitches.
by Mary Ayres