Country Appliqued Hoop Ornament Set
- Wooden embroidery hoops, 4”, three
- Brown burlap, 7” circles, three
- Wool felt, scraps: white; gold; olive green; red; ecru; burgundy; dk. green; sage green; turquoise; burnt orange; lt. brown
- Pom-poms, 3/8”: yellow; white; grey
- Black odd buttons, three
- Hemp cord, 10” lengths, three
- Black E beads, 6/0, 12
- Artificial Christmas greenery
- Green wire, 22-gauge, 2” lengths, three
- Americana Acrylic Paints: Country Red; Olde Gold; Hauser Med. Green
- Black pearl cotton
- Embroidery needle
- Fabric glue
- 1. Print and cut out patterns.
- 1. Cut: hat brim, beard, and mustache from white felt; top of hat from red felt; shirt from burgundy felt. For face, cut 1-3/4” circle from ecru. Put small dab of glue on back of felt pieces and attach them to center of burlap circle as indicated by pattern. (Note: Place face under hat brim, beard, and mustache pieces.)
- 2. Use one strand pearl cotton to blanket stitch around edges of felt pieces and sew beads to eye dots.
- 3. Paint hoop Hauser Med. Green. Let dry. Place burlap circle in hoop, centering design, then tighten hoop so burlap is taught.
- 4. To finish back of ornament, use pearl cottons to sew running stitch 1/2” from raw edge of burlap. Pull stitches tightly to gather and knot. Cut 3-1/2” circle from brown felt; glue to back.
- 5. Place greenery stems together. Wrap wire tightly around end of stems to secure and glue to top right side of ornament. Glue button to top of stem ends and white pom-pom to top of hat.
- 6. For hanger, insert ends of 10” hemp cord through opening in screw at top of hoop. Bring ends back through loop formed by cord and knot ends.
- 1. Cut: hat brim from sage green felt; top of hat from dk. green felt; beak from gold felt; penguin shape from white felt; outer body from black felt. Put small dab of glue on back of felt pieces and adhere to center of burlap circle as indicated by pattern.
- 2. Follow Steps 2 through 6 of Santa instructions, painting hoop Country Red and gluing grey pom-pom to top of hat.
- 1. Cut: hat brim from olive green felt; top of hat from turquoise felt; nose from orange felt; snowman shape from white felt. Put small dab of glue on back of felt pieces and adhere to center of burlap circle as indicated by pattern.
- 2. Follow steps 2 through 5 of Santa instructions, sewing beads to eye and mouth dots, painting hoop Olde Gold, and gluing yellow pom-pom-to hat.
by Mary Ayres