Blue Without You Valentine
- Cardstock: light denim blue; light plum; white; glossy white
- Adhesive-backed gems, four each: small clear; large clear; small pink, one
- Ribbon: purple grosgrain; sheer blue/white dot; sheer plum; sheer lavender/plum dot
- Silver cord
- Stamps: Three Dancing Hearts; Love
- Ink pads: Denim Adirondack; Black StāzOn
- Dye ink sprays: Denim and Wild Plum ColorWash; Sapphire Ultra Color Wash Jewels
- Stipple brush
- Colored pencils (not watercolor)
- Odorless mineral spirits
- Blending stumps
- Craft punches: Ticket Corner Punch; Round Tab; 1" Circle
- Plastic wrap
- Cling/Scrunch Background
- 1. Spray glossy white cardstock with assorted dye ink sprays; watercolor sprays, re-inker sprays, or walnut ink daubers may also be used as desired for different effects.
- 2. Spritz inks a few times with water.
- 3. Cover wet ink with large piece of plastic wrap and scrunch with fingers to create ridges; let dry completely. Peel off wrap to reveal background pattern.
- Colored Pencil Blending
- 1. Stamp white cardstock with black hearts image; stamp again, overlapping first image.
- 2. Outline inside of each image using several coordinating colored pencils.
- 3. Touch blending stump tip to mineral spirits; do not allow tip to become too wet. With light pressure, push blending stump back and forth over pencil line and pull color toward image center.
- 4. To clean blending stump between color changes, sand with emery board or sanding block.
- 1. Cut blue cardstock to 8"x9-1/4"; score and fold in half. In addition, cut 2-3/16"x4-7/8" blue piece.
- 2. Cut background cardstock to 3-1/2"x8-3/4". Use circle punch to punch quarter-circle from each corner. Mat inked piece on plum cardstock; see Techniques.
- 3. Wrap lengthwise center of layered papers with purple grosgrain ribbon and silver cord as shown; knot at left end. Cut and tie shorter ribbon lengths around purple ribbon as desired. Adhere papers to card.
- 4. Punch tab from white cardstock. Stipple tab Denim; see Techniques. Ink edges and stamp "love" black. Adhere tab to side of blue cardstock rectangle cut in Step 1; adhere rectangle to card.
- 5. Trim stamped image to 2"x4-3/4". Use ticket punch to clip corners. Adhere stamped block to blue rectangle over tab. Adhere gems to card corners, heart panel corners, and to one heart as shown.
- 6. Add computer-generated, stamped, or rub-on sentiment to inside of card: "I'm blue without you, Valentine!"
by Ann Clack