Cross-Stitch Nativity Ornament
size: 4-1/2”x4-1/2”; stitch count: 43 w x 56 h
- Tea-dyed 28-count Monaco Fabric, 7”x7”
- Coordinating backing fabric, 7”x7”
- 6-strand embroidery floss in colors listed on key
- Very Fine Braid in color listed on key
- Gold Torsade Braid, 4mm, 1 yd.
- Tapestry needle, #24
- Fusible batting, 6”x6”, two
- Fiberfill stuffing, small amount
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- 1. To find center of cloth, fold in half and in half again opposite way. Mark center with contrasting thread.
- 2. Use two strands floss or one strand very fine braid to cross-stitch design, working over two threads in colors listed on keycode. Use one strand Black floss to backstitch design.
- 3. Apply fusible batting to wrong side of stitching and backing fabric. Trim stitching and backing to 5”x5”.
- 4. Sew ornament front to backing fabric, leaving an opening at bottom for turning and stuffing. Clip corners. Turn right side out through opening. Stuff; sew opening closed.
- 5. Make 4” loop at center of Torsade braid. Tack to top center of ornament at seam. Continue tacking braid around ornament to bottom center. Overlap ends, tacking together. Knot ends 2” below ornament. Trim 1” from knot.
by Lois Winston for The DMC Corp.