Trash to Treasure: Mosaic Vase
size: 8” tall
- Recycled ceramic vase, 8” tall
- Jennifer’s Mosaic: Black Iridized Stained Glass Chips, two 5 oz. pkgs.
- Mirror Glass Chips
- Mosaic Black Sanded Grout
- Glass/Mirror Adhesive
- Wheeled Glass Nippers
- Mixing spoon
- Soft cloth
- Disposable gloves
- Safety glasses
- Bag of sand (or pillow)
- Plastic bowl
- 1. Cover work surface with newspaper. Place all supplies on work surface.
- 2. For quartered squares, hold Black Iridized Stained Glass in fingers. Use Wheeled Glass Nipper in opposite hand, open jaws, and place glass square between blades. Squeeze nippers closed to nip square in half (Fig. 1). Now cut each piece in half again to make four 3/8” glass squares. (see photos)
- 3. Cut squares in batches to complete an entire section at a time.
- 4. To keep vase from rolling, place on bag of sand (or pillow) (Fig. 2). (see photos)
- 5. Starting from bottom, glue nipped squares side-by-side, leaving approximately 1/16” to 1/8” between each piece (Fig. 3). (see photos)
- 6. Once you reach center of vase, stop. Nip and add a row of mirror glass (Fig. 4). Decrease size of 1/2” square tile to 3/8” on one side to make a rectangle (Fig. 5). Mark off 1/8” on top of tile. Use Wheeled Glass Nipper to nip mirror at line. (see photos)
- 7. Glue larger rectangle in place in row above Black Iridized squares, leaving 1/16” to 1/8” between tiles.
- 8. Continue adding three additional rows of Black Iridized squares, then stop.
- 9. Nip mirror into small squares that match Black Iridized glass squares, marking dimensional on mirror before nipping. Add second row of mirror, alternating mirror and Black Iridized glass squares for one row.
- 10. Add three more rows of Black Iridized glass squares. Let dry overnight before grouting.
- 11. (Note: Amount of grout used may vary depending on size of vase.) Place one cup grout in plastic bowl (Fig 6). Slowly add 5 Tablespoons of water, mixing in one Tablespoon at a time until fudge-like consistency is achieved (Fig 7). If grout appears dry, continue adding small amount of water to mixture to proper consistency. (see photos)
- 12. Use spoon or spatula to spread grout onto vase, covering entire surface (Fig. 8). Wearing gloves, press grout between all gaps in glass and mirror (Fig. 9). Let set for 10 minutes; remove excess grout with damp sponge, rinse sponge several times and wipe surface until it is free of grout. (see photos)
- 13. When grout is thoroughly dry, use soft cloth to polish glass surface.
- 1. Amount of rows, glass, and mirror may vary depending upon size of vase. Wear safety glasses when nipping glass.
- Mosaic Tips
- 1. If not using gloves to grout, rinse hands with vinegar to restore ph to hands.
- 2. Round objects are challenging to mosaic. To prevent round object from rolling while gluing or grouting, set object in cup or bowl depending on size of object. A small beanbag or bag of rice also prevents object from rolling on work surface.
by Diamond Tech