Appliqued Bird Tea Towel
- Cotton fabrics: pink heavyweight, 22”x26”; white lightweight, 8”x9”; pink/red print, 6”x21-1/2”, two
- White wide rickrack, 23” length
- Black E bead, 6/0
- Embroidery floss: pink; red
- Sewing thread: pink; black
- Mark-It Fine-Tip Markers: Grey; Pink; Red; Black
- Embroidery needle
- Iron-on adhesive
- Sewing machine
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. For towel, turn long sides and one short side of pink fabric rectangle under 1/4”. Turn edges under 1/4” again. Machine sew close to turned edges.
- 2. Sew one long side of print fabric rectangle to pink rectangle 1/4” from raw edge with right sides facing. (Note: 1/4” of print rectangle should extend beyond pink rectangle at sides.) Turn remaining edges of print rectangle under 1/4”. Fold print rectangle so long turned edge is even with seam at bottom of pink rectangle. (Note: Right side of fabric should be facing outward.) Hand sew turned edges to bottom of towel.
- 3. Print and cut out pattern. Transfer bird design to white fabric. Use photo as guide to color bird with markers. Quick Tip: Use short quick strokes so marker doesn’t bleed into fabric.
- 4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to adhere iron-on adhesive to back of white bird. Cut bird shape along dashed lines. Remove backing and adhere bird to center front of towel.
- 5. Use two strands pink floss to blanket stitch around bird edges. Use three strands red floss and running stitch to sew rick rack across top of print fabric on towel, folding ends over 1/2” to back of towel. Use black thread to sew bead to eye dot.
by Mary Ayres