Santa & Snowman Quilted Gift Bags
- Natural paper gift bags with handles: 8-3/4”x5-1/4”x3-1/4”; 10-1/2”x8”x4-1/4”
- Cotton fabric scraps: prints: green shades, two; red shades, two; light blue; bright blue; solid: light pink; white; orange
- White wool felt scrap
- Ribbon, 20” lengths, two: red, 3/8”; green, 1/2”
- White glitter medium rickrack
- Flat buttons: red: 7/16”, two; 5/8”; green: 7/16”, two; 5/8”
- White cardstock
- Warm & White needled cotton batting (The Warm Co.)
- Steam-A-Seam Sticky Back for Appliqué (The Warm Co.)
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Black perle cotton, #8
- SoSoft Shimmering Pearls Fabric Paint (DecoArt): Christmas Red
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue (API)
- White sewing thread
- Santa Quilt
- 1. Adhere Steam-A-Seam sticky back to back of both red fabrics (hat and coat) and pink fabric (face), cutting pieces slightly larger than pattern pieces. Cut coat, hat and face from fused fabrics. (Note: Cut face 1/8” larger than pattern shape around edge.) Cut beard and mustache from wool felt, cutting top edge of beard 1/8” longer than pattern.
- 2. Fuse coat and face to a 4-1/2”x6-1/2” light blue fabric rectangle, following pattern.
- 3. Cut two 1-1/2”x6-1/2” strips each from green and bright blue fabrics. Sew a green strip to the left side and a blue strip to the right side of the Santa rectangle. Sew a blue strip to the top and a green strip to the bottom of the Santa rectangle.
- 4. For nose, cut a 1-1/2” circle from pink fabric. Sew running stitches around the circle close to edge, gathering circle as you work. Stuff circle with fiberfill. Pull thread tightly and knot to secure stitches.
- 5. Dry brush Santa’s cheeks and nose with Christmas Red. To do this, dip dry stencil or bristle brush in paint, wipe brush on paper towel until almost dry, then wipe brush on fabric.
- 6. Glue beard and mustache, and fuse hat to Santa, following pattern. Use one strand perle cotton to straight stitch on eye lines. Sew nose to center of face, using blind stitch on wrong side.
- 7. Cut a 6-1/2”x8-1/2” rectangle from batting and coordinating fabric for quilt back. Baste batting to back of quilt front. Sew rickrack around quilt front 1/4” from edge. Sew quilt front to back along rickrack stitching, leaving 3” opening at bottom for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out through opening.
- 8. Fold green ribbon pieces in half and sew 3/8” red buttons close to fold at top front sides of quilt.
- 9. Print “Ho Ho Ho!” on cardstock; trim to tag shape. Draw black line around tag, 1/8” from edges. Sew 5/8” green button to end of tag at tip of hat.
- 10. Glue quilt to front of bag. Wrap ribbon pieces around handles and tie bows. Trim ends.
- Snowman Quilt
- 1. Follow same basic instructions as Santa, cutting snowman from white fabric, hat and scarf from green fabrics, and nose from orange fabric. Cut a 3”x6” rectangle from light blue fabric. Cut a 1-1/4”x4-1/2” and a 1-1/4”x6” strip from the red and bright blue fabrics for border. Cut 4-1/2”x7-1/2” rectangles from batting and backing fabric. Sew red ribbon pieces, 3/8” green buttons and 5/8” red button to quilt.
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. (Note: Sew all seams with right sides together, 1/4” from edges, pinning and pressing as needed.)
by Mary Ayres